12 V Heavy Duty Compressor

s2hotdog

I have just brought a very good 12 V compressor that connects directly to battery terminals with jump lead type connnectors that works a treat.

For ease of use I wanted to convert it to a ciggarette type socket, but having brought one (cheap one to be fair) it dos'nt look half man enough the wires on compressor are 2-3 mm approx and it has an inline fuse - so is there another way to achive ? rather than taking the seat out every time I want to use.

It would appear that I have to solder the wires to the spring type metal and to central button on the ciggeratte socket

Many thanks for any imput.

Steve

One way of doing this is with a quick connect plug wired to the battery, then putting the same plug on the compressor (such as Anderson plugs).

This way you could also use other item with larger electrical draw (or use jump leads).

I don't think it would be a very good adea to try and run the compressor off your ciggeratte socket (all i think you would do is blow fuse's). Has the compressor got an inline fuse in it? What size is it?

DO NOT use a cigarette lighter, it'll melt or in extreme circumstances catch fire, either way, it's really not a good idea. Even if you were to make a suitable plug, the socket and vehicle wiring are not up to that sort of load.

if you're talking 30-70A, your only real option, as has been mentioned, is something like an anderson connector wired direct to the battery.

I have just brought a very good 12 V compressor that connects directly to battery terminals with jump lead type connnectors that works a treat.

For ease of use I wanted to convert it to a ciggarette type socket, but having brought one (cheap one to be fair) it dos'nt look half man enough the wires on compressor are 2-3 mm approx and it has an inline fuse - so is there another way to achive ? rather than taking the seat out every time I want to use.

It would appear that I have to solder the wires to the spring type metal and to central button on the ciggeratte socket

Many thanks for any imput.

Steve

Talk to Simon R, buy a X-Jump with an extra plug.

Then you can jump start vehicles or run your compressor, plenty of scope for current flow in those jobbies :D