BFG AT KO v General Grabber AT2

Cartman

The AT2s are the only choice if you want an 18" tyre to fit on a Discovery (unless you reckon on fitting 37" BFG MTs, which would be an interesting project...)

Too early to say on AT2 life expectancy I think... in fact I doubt anybody has worn a set out yet!

BFGs are well known to last for ever and I use them and like them a lot. Expensive but you get what you pay for...

Tread patterns are very similar so probably performance will be similar size for size though I haven't tried an AT2 off road. The 18" AT2s for the new Discovery etc struck me as very hard tyres, not helped by only having about half an inch of sidewall between the rim and the road (they are /55 section!)

BFG AT2 would be my preference, but will be needing some AT 18" ones soon so G Grabber may be the only choice - unfortunately.

Cheers for the feedback. The ones we are looking for are 15" size (30x9.5x15) but we seem to be having problems locally in getting a price for AT2. Dealers don't stock or Micheldever Tyres won't even answer their phone or e-mails. Have a price for BFG at £100 per corner all in which is not the best I have heard of nationwide but close.

Other than price it is sidewall strength and resistance to damage, the performance similarities I can take as red.

If you haven't already, I'd also have a look at the new-ish Kumho KL41 which is an AT pattern available in that size. The Kumhos I have used seem pretty tough and though I have only seen the new KL41 but not used it, a poke and a prod suggests that it does seem to follow the trend.

Cheers for the feedback. The ones we are looking for are 15" size (30x9.5x15) but we seem to be having problems locally in getting a price for AT2. Dealers don't stock or Micheldever Tyres won't even answer their phone or e-mails. Have a price for BFG at £100 per corner all in which is not the best I have heard of nationwide but close.

Other than price it is sidewall strength and resistance to damage, the performance similarities I can take as red.

Is this a good time for me to mention I have a set of four BFG AT 10R15 on white spokes that I have no use for (I replaced by General MT whcih are narrower as I did not want to fit spats). Looking in the region of the price you are being quoted for 2 corners. 11 mm tread if you want more details send me PM and I can e-mail you pics and full descritpion). South Herts.

If you haven't already, I'd also have a look at the new-ish Kumho KL41 which is an AT pattern available in that size. The Kumhos I have used seem pretty tough and though I have only seen the new KL41 but not used it, a poke and a prod suggests that it does seem to follow the trend.

Cheers Steve. Saw the KL41's and have also asked Micheldever for a quote - only to get no response (as above). Asked my local supplier who saud he only 'had 822's on his system' . He wasn't interested in looking either

:angry:

I deal (trade) with Southam Tyres who are always 100% helpful and are the main importer for Kumho (so they tell me anyway) as well as General and BFG.

If you send an email to sales@southamtyres.co.uk and ask who their nearest dealer is they might be able to help?

The 822 is quite an old pattern, which IIRC was superceded by the 825, which was then superceded by the KL41, so anybody with 822s still on stock is probably not selling a lot of tyres... :blink:

I deal (trade) with Southam Tyres who are always 100% helpful and are the main importer for Kumho (so they tell me anyway) as well as General and BFG.

If you send an email to sales@southamtyres.co.uk and ask who their nearest dealer is they might be able to help?

The 822 is quite an old pattern, which IIRC was superceded by the 825, which was then superceded by the KL41, so anybody with 822s still on stock is probably not selling a lot of tyres... :blink:

Steve,

Just sent a mail to Southam's and see what response I get from them. As far as I know Micheldever and Southam's are all part of the same group but even so I might get a better response?

Kumho 822 and KL41 seem to have a similar tread pattern but I have just been given 'the nod' on the cost for 4 BFG so that opens up the choice somewhat? B)