OT 2.0 HDI Peugeot 306

Jon W

Ok here is the story.

My house mate over filled his car with oil today and i got the rescue call to tow him home. He only drove about 800yds max before he stopped because of the excessive smoke.

So towed him home dropped the oil. (plenty of it over 7 litres when there should be 4.3)

Put new oil in and started it up, it was idleing lumpy so increased the revs. This was fine but huge clouds of white smoke were coming out the back. To me white = water ??? then the major worry was the engine took off and started racing, turned ignition off but it wouldn't stop, so i stalled it asap.

Now thoughts are head gasket, due to white smoke.

or is it the turbo as it ran away?? or is it running away sign of the head gasket too.

So if it is the head gasket, chance of warping the head as was only cold and driven very less than 20mph as it would go any faster.

Thanks

Jon

7liters? What the hell did he do, fill it to the brim? :o I thought that one was an urban myth.

My money is on the crank case breathers being full of oil which is now going in via the inlet and burning. Remove and clean all breathers with petrol and DRY THOROUGHLY before restarting.

Chris

Yep , as above . The crankcase breathers are full of oil , there fore the engine is running on the excess oil , Good job its not an auto !!!!

As les says the pug deisels are pretty damn good , and will sort themselves out . I have the same engine in the wifes 307 ,

Thanks for the replies. Hoping it is good news then, as when the engine started to run away i thought it was going to be rather a big mistake for him to have made, but will give it a look over tomorrow and be careful with it. Will let you know the outcome.

Cheers

Jon