RRC 300tdi Autobox Replacement

Raumer

I have a factory 300tdi range rover classic auto. The auto box has been playing up a lot. Original thought was to dismantle it and use some of the bits on my landie. However my brother is now thinking of borrowing it. First question is how big a job is it to change? Second question, what gearboxes can we use as donors, is the discovery 300tdi auto box the same, or the 200tdi autobox etc.....? I think that the V8 auto box would have the wrong kick down points for the tdi.

Thanks

Ed

The V8 one works fine - thats what my 300 has in it thanks to the previous owner.

Dropping it is not too bad, but the worst bit is getting to the bolts at the top of the bellhousing - they're a piggy to get to. Also make sure the dowels that go in the bellhousing are in place, as if they're missing then the flex plate lasts 5 minutes! (ask me how I know - previous owner again!).

Cheers

Jon

Dropping the box is not overly difficult - and I'll second the awkward bolts at the top!!!

The main thing is that with the transfer box attached it is a big heavy item and you would be well advised to either use a transmission jack or make up the carrier which you will find in the manuals together with a decent trolley jack.

Don't forget to undo the four bolts that hold the flex-plate to the torque converter or the TC will be pulled off the gearbox. Don't let the TC slip off the box if you remove it properly as a LOT of fluid remains in it!!!

Yeah i'd second that - I did mine on a ramp, with a transmission jack, with the correct cradle to suit the box, and it was still a piggy of a job! I wouldnt fancy it on my back on the floor! If doing it on the floor I'd be tempted to drop the transfer box off first to make it all a more manageable weight.

Jon