Super Gaz or Pro-Comp...

Matt B

As it says on the tin really, I'm looking at giving the classic a much needed lift but need to keep things in a VERY tight budget. Paddock do the basic lift kit for £180ish delivered with Super Gaz or for just over £30 more the Pro-Comp shocks. Bearing in mind that the difference in price will pay for my braided flexi lines is there that much difference?

The classic has had some modification in that weight has been removed through bobtailing, pickup conversion and removal of things like the air con, interior etc but has been added with the inclusion of a full roll cage and front and rear HD tube bumpers, it currently has no winch / winch bumper.

It is intended for use primarily off road but will need to be driven to events.

Any advice is really appreciated.

Matt B

My concerns would not be with the shocks - either you mention would do the job fine ( even if not so well as Rough Country :lol: )

My concern with the budget lift kits would be with the springs!! You might well get 2" at the front, 3" at the rear for 3 months but then the rear will drop to where it was and the front will lean..

Go for OMEmu springs if you can stretch ( £235 a set of 4 ) or if budget is tight then use packers for £70 not cheap springs.

Hope that helps a little

David

Thanks guys, that is great advice, so to summarise I'd be better off just packing the standard springs for the time being until I can stretch to OME springs?

Matt B

That would certainly be my advice.... be aware with the packers though that unless they are the type that allows the shock to pass through the middle to its irugunal mounting ( the ones I sell are ) that you will need to be careful of the compressed side of the travel bottoming the shock before the axle hits the stops.

My advice would be:

4 x lift packers

4 x +2" shocks of your choice

Check your hoses - rear will probably be ok fronts will need to be longer....

Yoyal price including delivery around the ( including Forum discount where available ) should be in the region of £ 250

Hope that helps

David

How much lift do you need?

LR springs for other vehicles will fit the RRC, except for 110 and 130 rears.

Picking the correct ones can give you a good lift and comfortable ride.

It's what i did. I can't remember the part numbers but use google to find

the lists (they are out there) then simply pick a spring that is slightly stiffer

and longer.

gallery_21_64_640553.jpg

gallery_21_64_249155.jpg

Those tyres are 235.85x16 by the way.

Looking for 2"+ I want to fit 265/85 R16 and while they would fit under standard arches it'd be less likely to rub if the car was lifted a little.

Are Heavy Duty rears standard equipment on the Disco, otherwise it'll be as expensive as getting proper springs surely? Also is it possible to use a dislocation setup with the spacers?

Oh and what are red and white stripes? (sorry, I'm such a noob...)

Ta

Matt B

Looking for 2"+ I want to fit 265/85 R16 and while they would fit under standard arches it'd be less likely to rub if the car was lifted a little.

Are Heavy Duty rears standard equipment on the Disco, otherwise it'll be as expensive as getting proper springs surely? Also is it possible to use a dislocation setup with the spacers?

Oh and what are red and white stripes? (sorry, I'm such a noob...)

Ta

Matt B

You should be able to use relocation cones no problem with spacers as most cones fit into the chassis at the top of the spring - though with +2 shocks and spacers fitted I would doubt if the springs would come out that far anyway.

Red / white stripes are the original H?Duty rerar spring for the rear ofa RRC and are a nice / cheap / easy to get spring to give a lift with.

Unless you can squash them down a bit with the weight of a winch they tend to lift the front by far more than the rear hence the use of packers aswell to get it to sit level. However if 60mm packers were used ( as per above post ) that would in itself be 2 3/8" of lift plus anything the springs gave.

Red / whites tend to be of reasonable quality as they are made to an OE spec and won't caost you much more than £60 a set of 4.

You may still have to spend more though on packers to get it level afterwards if you use them all round.

David

Ooh pedantic llama's! :P

It did sit a fraction higher at the back but it was more than acceptable.

This is it on the left, next to Shed which has a +2" Pro-Comp lift kit.

Image1.jpg

And when first done

lift6.jpg

31/10.5x15 tyres

As David rightly proves, the 60mm was not done to give a specific lift height but it was the heaviest wall thickness box section I had in the scrap bin! :lol:

BTW nice to speak with you for so long at Peteerboro David. Fancy selling the display stuff! ;)

Following this thread with interest as i will be doing things like this when i return from my break (in january) Recently just managed to overcome engine trouble so that was a priority.

Seems lots of good info on the subject, but can't quite grasp everything you's are on about (yet)

I'll keep reading and learning no doubt.

DC