replace bulkhead?

doddel

do a search, but, in a nutshell its an easy job, took me and my wife 2 days to do not working particularly quickly, just make sure you have some mates round at the lifting off/on stage as its heavy!

Mike

I did a search, but couldn't find much info, will try again.

Do you have to take out the engine?

Guest diesel_jim
I did a search, but couldn't find much info, will try again.

Do you have to take out the engine?

No.

basically it's:

wings off

bonnet off

front doors off

floor plates out

transmission tunnel out

windscreen out (either take the whole roof off, or just losen all the bolts so you can prize it up a bit, and then remove the frame)

disconnect battery

disconnect the battery cable from the starter

unplug all the lighting loom plugs and vehicle loom plugs.

disconnect the wing wiring looms (they power the headlights) or just snip the wires all off and crimp on some spades to re-connect to the new bulkhead (Td5's have un-pluggable wing looms... great idea!)

disconnect clutch hydraulic pipe

disconnect brake pipes (if you're lucky, you might be able to undo the master cylinder off of the servo and gently pull away the cylinder with all the brakes still connected. will save you having to re-bleed them after.

disconnect throttle cable

disconnect steering linkage

disconnect any extra wiring you might have installed (rear spotlights? rear speakers from stereo? CB aerial cable?) that goes through the bulkhead.

disconnect heater water pipes.

thats about it. easiest way is to get an engine crane, bolt a couple of eyes through the holes where the windscreen brackets went, and lift it up with a sling. or invite a few of your mates over for a pizza and get them to help you lift.

windscreen out (either take the whole roof off, or just losen all the bolts so you can prize it up a bit, and then remove the frame)

as Jim says its quite heavy to take out with all the bits still on it though so a crane with a long reach is advisable

putting the windscreen back in with roof on can be fun!