Td5 Air Flow meter

jules

My Disco has been feeling very flat for weeks possibly months and when it went for service Stunning said it didn't feel as if it had any go in it at all which was a surprise as for all the discos he looks after mine was one of the pokiest.

I was resigning to the fact that the 160k engine had just been ragged too hard and I had killed it.

but even though the ecu didn't register any faults the Air flow meter had packed up and apparently it's quite common on the Td5.

anyway I replaced it yesterday and it back to being a lively d2 again :)

I hate to thing how much fuel has been wasted as I didn't realise until I though about it that I have been driving it around even more flat out than normal

Do you have a K&N air filter or alike (oiled when cleaned)?

Is this a loaded question

I have a ITG filter and its been in it for about 110,000 miles and gets cleaned and re-oiled about every 6-12k

So yes of sorts I do and yes the old AFM was oily but as peper filters would fall apart after a trip down the moroway in heavy rain I will be sticking with said filer

Td5 airflow meters do die (even with the proper air filter) and that is usually the symptoms - power loss - and usually there are no fault codes logged in the ECU. You can tell by using a T4 and comparing the airflow at idle to the "expected" figure IIRC, but offhand I can't remember what either of the figures are :rolleyes:

Just as a matter of interest, I use an ITG oiled foam filter in the standard 38A Range Rover air box, and my understanding is that they don't need cleaning and re-oiling, apart from the removal of any leaves etc stuck to the outside.

I did ring the manufacturer and was told that it was possible to clean and re-oil, but I'd find it a right pain to clean, and I'd never oil it to the same standard the production process used.

I can't be bothered to go and look for 'my' figures, but after not touching it for several service intervals it looked really disgustingly dirty, so I bought a new one, and it made absolutely no difference to the engine performance, from which I concluded my old one was still flowing enough for my engine.

Of course, as my filter is choosen for physical size rather air flow, it could be argued that the filter is vastly over-specified in flow terms.

I moved away from a re-oilable filter, K+N in my case, as I felt I could never gurantee I had reoiled it correctly, so could not rely on either high flow or good filtration, one of then was bound to be wrong.

I suggest you ring the ITG manufacturer and get his view, ISTR he mentioned pressure drop across the filter as being the only true measurement of whether a filter is still servicable, and he did quote figures, but as I've no means of measuring them I'm afraid I've lost them.

Bottom Line, I'd happily fit an ITG on another engine, I still wouldn't clean and re-oil.

Cheers.

Ok, I won't say anything about K&N so-called 'filters' I am running out of soapboxes on that one ....

The normal TD5 air flow at idle is 47 kg/min and it goes up from that to about 440 kg/min max. But you need a computer to measure it.