2.5 petrol core plug leak

Noticed a rusty streak dwon the side of the engine yesterday, looks like a small dribble from the nearside core plug at the front of the engine which looks like it has corroded at the bottom to give a pinhold leak.

I'm thinking that even with the exhaust manifold in the way I should be able to get to it and just hammer it out (after draing the collant) and knock a new one in with some sealant, or is it much harder than it looks?

Noticed a rusty streak dwon the side of the engine yesterday, looks like a small dribble from the nearside core plug at the front of the engine which looks like it has corroded at the bottom to give a pinhold leak.

I'm thinking that even with the exhaust manifold in the way I should be able to get to it and just hammer it out (after draing the collant) and knock a new one in with some sealant, or is it much harder than it looks?

Not sure whether the manifold has to come off or not. Easy to replace the plug though - just make sure you only put a thin smear of sealant round the edge, you don't want any getting in the waterways.

You can have a look at this video (its a V8 on a stand though): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdaZj7UDVeo although the " ...it might drop inside here but you'll be able to collect it..." part is not an option for you :). But you'll manage to get it out, no problems.

Damn, hadn't even thought of the possibility of it falling inside !

Punch a screwdriver or similar through the weak part of the core plug (where it's leaking), then lever it out. A quick clean around the hole with wet/dry paper and a smear of thread lock on the lip of the new plug and the edge of the hole and knock the new one in using a socket that fit's inside the 'cup' of the plug.

If one has started to leak, the others won't be far behind it.

Les.

I have replaced that one on a 2.5 petrol without removing the manifolds. Obviously it is easier with them out of the way, but perfectly doable with them still fitted.

Make sure you use some wet and dry paper as Les says, and get the sealing edge of the hole perfectly clean all the way round. Make sure you knock the new one in perfectly square too.

Regards,

Diff