Stromberg Carbs, OT and I'm going to use the Dirty 'S' wor

Ruuman

Basically my little sister has got into offroading and decided to buy a little 413sj off fleabay without even seeing it.

I took it out last weekend to discover it's truly a POS, the engine has had it in so many ways, anyway the biggest problem is that it still has the standard SJ carb which is terrible and seem to be causing vapour locks and just general bad running.

Now it seems very common to put an SU in place, only problem is because this is so popular SU's are now at a premium. So this got me thinking I have a stromberg carb off a 3.5 rangie and an old Weber off a S3 2.25 which I could make fit, these aren't the best carbs in the world, but they are nice and simple.

I've never tried doing anything like this before so does anyone have any pointers/better ideas? Cheaper is better!!

Thanks

Ruu

thanks for the replies lads, unfortunately the noises this engine is making will take more than basic service to sort, I'm talking metal on metal grinding noises coming from the bottom end.

Basically I want to bodge it to run until it fails catastrophically as it's only used once a month, then I'll do something a bit more permanent later.

The stock suzuki carb is a twin throat down draft with wax stats and plenty of emission rubbish to make it unrelieable when it gets old.

I'm having a hard time finding an SU and when I do people want silly money for them, hence why I thought of using the stromberg, I know there carp, but it's so simple and no one wants them. I'm also thinking a weber off a fiat as that might be jetted about right and again they are super simple and cheap.

Nige, I've seen some pretty horrible conversion kits, it does amaze me how someone could make something so simple so badly and then sell it for the price of the earth!! But I'm no worried about making the adaptor, I have a welder and large lump hammer :)

Just wanted some advice on a carb choice and jetting, or is there no real mystery to it and just get one off a similar sized engine that rev's about the same?