R380 gearbox change TD5

lbj

Hi

I'm going to change the R380 box on the wifes 110 TD5 stw. It is sitting at the lift for the time being :angry:

I have been looking, but don't seem to be able to find any info about this on the forum.

It seems that I have to take most of the 110 apart to do this. My plan is to split the transferbox from the main box due to weight. I do have the manual, but additional info would be nice.

Best regards

Lars

Guest diesel_jim

No need to dismantle the vehicle.

depends on what workshop equipment youve got, but if it's on a lift, than that helps a lot.

a gearbox "jack" would be handly as well.(one of these:)

020110520.jpg

inside the vehicle:

remove the two gear knobs.

remove the large zip tie and rubber stick gaiter.

remove the main gearstick

under the vehicle:

front & back propshafts, remove.

handbrake cable, remove (or just remove the drum (once the rear propshaft is off) and remove the whole handbrake anchor plate...4 bolts)

remove clutch slave cylinder.

unplug speedo drive cable

undo transfer and main box breather pipes

remove crossmember

move gearbox jack into place, remove both rubber mountings off of the chassis. undo bellhousing bolts. grunt & pull a lot and the box should come out.

What diesel_jim said.

It's not difficult but is awkward. We recently had the box out of our 300Tdi for reconditioning -- the two of us got the box out in approx 5 hours.

No pit, ramp or fancy gearbox jack so we removed the driver's door which allowed us to get an engine crane inside the Defender to support the weight of the box (we removed the gearbox and transfer box together). Lowered it to the floor and pulled it out from underneath :D

I got a gearbox/transfer box cradle from eblag, it fitted a treat and saved me from making one.

Attaches to two bolts on PTO cover then has two 'forks' that sit either side of the gearbox.

Main problem was getting the vehicle high enough to get the whole lot out from underneath (gear lever catches on chassis), had to use 800mm jack at front of vehicle, and put the gearbox on to a pallet truck.

Replaced clutch while it was all out,

you can make the cradle, dimensions in LR workshop manuals.

Thanks everybody

The box is down, I borrowed a gearbox "jack" and made my own "special tool" a plate with 2 holes (8mm) and one 10mm hole. Then I could bolt the plate direct to the main box through the 8 mm holes and to the flywheel/clutch housing through the 10 mm hole, and using long bolts and 3 nuts on each you can ajust the level of the plate. After having problems taking the gearboxmounting of %?&§?& :angry::angry::angry: everything was stable and in balance so the wife (she has taken both gearboxes and engines out of a Serie III in India and Pakistan, and no she is not for sale and her sisters are no good) and I just moved the entire box backwards and lowered it. You have to be aware of 2 brackets holding a pipe in place (the are in the way when you move the box backwards, we found out afterwards :angry:) . The book says that you have to take the cooling fan off but I just suspended the engine on a pole across the wings. And there are quite a few wires in a TD5 to undo too.

But as said IT IS OUT :lol: .

Lars

Thanks everybody

The box is down, I borrowed a gearbox "jack" and made my own "special tool" a plate with 2 holes (8mm) and one 10mm hole. Then I could bolt the plate direct to the main box through the 8 mm holes and to the flywheel/clutch housing through the 10 mm hole, and using long bolts and 3 nuts on each you can ajust the level of the plate. After having problems taking the gearboxmounting of %?&§?& :angry::angry::angry: everything was stable and in balance so the wife (she has taken both gearboxes and engines out of a Serie III in India and Pakistan, and no she is not for sale and her sisters are no good) and I just moved the entire box backwards and lowered it. You have to be aware of 2 brackets holding a pipe in place (the are in the way when you move the box backwards, we found out afterwards :angry:) . The book says that you have to take the cooling fan off but I just suspended the engine on a pole across the wings. And there are quite a few wires in a TD5 to undo too.

But as said IT IS OUT :lol: .

Lars

putting the full thing back in is a pain, make sure you don`t catch the loom on the way in as it`s easy to do. jack up the front of the engine to tilt it. a lot easier to fit! there will be lots of swearing and shouting - doesn`t tell you that part in the books!!! :D