300 tdi rebuild - gaskets

DaveJ

Hello all,

I am just about to start a rebuild of my 300 tdie and was wondering about the bottom end gaskets. Should I get the full paper gasket set or use liquid gasket like silicon instead. I have had more success with sealing and less failures with silicon sealant before on water pumps etc. What is the consensus here?

Cheers

DaveJ

Hello all,

I am just about to start a rebuild of my 300 tdie and was wondering about the bottom end gaskets. Should I get the full paper gasket set or use liquid gasket like silicon instead. I have had more success with sealing and less failures with silicon sealant before on water pumps etc. What is the consensus here?

Cheers

DaveJ

I have always used the standard gaskets and never had a problem, only use the "instant Gasket" Silicon if i have to.

Regards

Keith

I use both the gasket and RTV on my rebuilds and that seems to work well.

ps trick with the sump gasket is to let the RTV cure for about 30 mins before bolting it up. And then don't fill it with oil for a day if you have the time. This results in a very non-Landrover lack of leaks :D

I use both the gasket and RTV on my rebuilds and that seems to work well.

ps trick with the sump gasket is to let the RTV cure for about 30 mins before bolting it up. And then don't fill it with oil for a day if you have the time. This results in a very non-Landrover lack of leaks :D

Cheers Jim,

think I will have plenty of time!

DaveJ