oversized spare fitting

discojmz

hi guys

if you upgrade a full set of 5 wheels and tyres to something notably bigger than standard, it's not gonna fit on the stock spare wheel carrier, it's gonna foul the rear bumper at best, stop you shutting it or just not fit at all at worst.

how do you mount an oversized spare on a disco, is there an aftermarket solution to this? a replacement mount that fits in the stock position but swan-neck's up? a discovery specific swing away?

how do you do it? or perhaps more usefully, how has anyone done it?

jim

You can get a 235/85 -16 BFG on the standard mount - so thats about 32.5" diameter. What size are you going up to?

Devon 4x4 used to do a replacement wheel carrier that replaced the standard one, but the studs were high ehough to get a 35" tyre on. Not sure it they still do though.

The other alternative is to put the wheel in the truck as it is a massive weight on he back door, which only gets bigger as your tyre size goes up!

I have yet to see an equivalent of the defender spare wheel swingawy cover for the disco, but if you find one post it up!

Just a thought, but why not chop out the top of the bumper and put in a scallop so the wheel clears on the standard holder....

Cheers

Mark

I would go with Mark on this one, put the spare in the boot, they are too heavy for the door anyway. remove the rear mount completely and plug the holes left, I personally think Disco 1 looks better without the wheel on the back door, but hey what do I know I just cut the back of my disco

Russ

265/65R16 for the moment, then maybe 33s at some point in the future but only if i deem them necessary.

had some 750R16s on there and they seemed to only just clear so i was a bit concerned that's all.

yeah i like the idea of scalloping the bumper. might look quite good

hmm... nah its not goin in the boot. no space for one thing! and personally i think the disco rear door looks plain daft without a wheel and mount :P the window looks funny all of a sudden

As said, my 235/85r16 colway a/t's just squeeze on, my bumper is a bit bent though so if it were straight it would fit easier. A freind of mine has elongated the bumper mount holes 1/2 inch so the bumper drops 1/2inch on his, might be an easy option if only a small amount is needed.

Alas I suspect that would have blown their budget, because it looks like their budget was 20p for a pack of crayons :o

You can Invert the tire carrier and gain a bit. I had a 33 in tire on it that way. after i went to the 35 i had to re drill the holder. with 37s we need to redo the whole thing.