whine

BadBob

Hi All help please I have a series 3 lightweight with overdrive I have lots of transmission whine and am not sure if it comes from the gearbox or overdrive my garage say its the overdrive bearings (but they fitted a s/h box and new clutch) the noise is there with the overdrive in or out I would have thought if it was the overdrive it would have done it in or out what do you more experenced series drivers think?

Likely to be intermediate gear in the transfer box. Check very carefully for wear. I had to replace, the bearsing, shim plates, the pin it runs on and the gear, as there are no inner/outer races on these bearings, so when they start to break up they wear the shaft and the gear badly.

Replacing them reduced the whine, but its still there, just in a lesser form. I just ignore it.

Jon

Has the overdrive been fitted to your transfercase for very long? Sometimes when an overdrive is freshly fitted or swapped from one vehicle to another it can take many thousands of miles for the overdrive output gear and the intermediate gear to get to know and love each other. Sometimes it never happens and you just have to learn to live with the whining and moaning.

bill.

Overdrive should only whine when engaged. Check/change your oils and look for nasty bits of metal in it.

Les.

Thanks all As les said I thought it would only whine when engaged but seems to be the same in or out It did'nt seem as bad before the clutch/gearbox swap, it was changed due to slip and no syncro on fourth gear The garage assure me the box is good

It did'nt seem as bad before the clutch/gearbox swap, The garage assure me the box is good

Either the garage screwed up when refitting the transfercase or the gearbox mainshaft bearing is bad. There is rarely such a thing as a good used series3 box except for possibly the late suffix D type. Fitting a second hand box is a risky proposition, particularly if you are paying commercial garage labor rates, unless it has been dismantled and thoroughly checked over by someone who knows what to look for.

Bill.