Spare wheel, where do you keep yours?

Brookers

My vehicle is a full body RR classic and i've now fitted 256/75 16 tyres so the spare will no longer fit in its normall location.

So I'm thinking of building a swing away carrier and incorperating it in to a heavy duty bumper. Do you think this is possible with just one mounting point to support the weight on the bumper? I have seen a few Disco 3 with a swing away carrier with just the one pivot point so I'm thinking along those lines. Alternativly where do you keep yours?

Pics and suggestions please!

Well, when I put a second battery in the back to run the aux lighting etc, I started by modifying a Series pivlock carrier. Was a bit of a pain TBH as it got in the way all the time while marshalling.

So I went mad and got a Disco carrier and mounted it on the roof with suitable bracing inside.

Works for me, but not everyone's cup of tea I'm sure.

mod10.jpg

shed3.jpg

After much thought, and some design changes, mine lives on the back. It's about the only option with a bobtail which has back seats.

post-2635-1196947123_thumb.jpg

The carrier pivots about a single point from the rear bumper, and is fabricated from 2" schedule 40 stainless tube.

The tyres are 255/85/16 BFG muds.

Edit - Used to run around with the wheel on the roof, but you'd be suprised how much the wind resistance slows you down, and costs you fuel !!

Adrian.

have fitted a swing down wheel carrier on my bob rrc i think i bought it from paddocks it is a series swing away type mounted downward instead of sideways its mounted on a custom 100x50 x4mm box section bumper welded direct to the chassis railsand work well i now have a 35 x12.5 mounted on it no probs although it is little heavy to lift up , it locks in horizontal and vertical positions

post-4862-1196972794_thumb.jpg

post-4862-1196972833_thumb.jpg

post-4862-1196972880_thumb.jpg

My vehicle is a full body RR classic and i've now fitted 256/75 16 tyres so the spare will no longer fit in its normall location.

So I'm thinking of building a swing away carrier and incorperating it in to a heavy duty bumper. Do you think this is possible with just one mounting point to support the weight on the bumper? I have seen a few Disco 3 with a swing away carrier with just the one pivot point so I'm thinking along those lines. Alternativly where do you keep yours?

Pics and suggestions please!

Easy, just cut the back off and will fit in no probs! :lol::D

post-2412-1196977032_thumb.jpg

Thanks for that,

Stumpy could you post some more pics of your carrier please. Especially the hindge bracket. How does it lock? Does it lock open? Do you have tie bars running from the bumper to the chassis to strengthen it?

This is the only other picture I have at present. The rear bumper is intended to be, and is, a winch bumper. I have a removable winch. This means that the bumper is strong enough to take the weight of the spare wheel with no additional tie bars required.

post-2635-1197034975_thumb.jpg

The bracketry you can see in the photo below the bumper is the remains of the crappy chocolate wheel carrier which was on the car when I bought it. I have not yet had a plasma cutter moment to remove it !

There is a sleeve welded into the bumper tube to strengthen it, and the retaining bolt is machined to allow greasing of the void between bolt and sleeve via a grease nipple on the end of the bolt.

I have not yet come up with a quick release system I am happy with, thus the wheel is held in the closed position by means of an M12 bolt in the bumper. Friction between the contact surfaces of the pivot means that it has not been necessary to lock the carrier in the open position.

Adrian.

As you are "ooooooop Norf" I would suggest you have a chat with North Offroad. I am sure he could make something at a very competitive price.

Whilst I could make one, 1) It would take me forever, 2) I would need your car "darn sarf" for the duration and 3) I don't have a laser or powder coating facility (Hamersh!te and 9" grinder is more my line!) :)

This bumper is my handiwork:

Bumper

As you are "ooooooop Norf" I would suggest you have a chat with North Offroad. I am sure he could make something at a very competitive price.

Whilst I could make one, 1) It would take me forever, 2) I would need your car "darn sarf" for the duration and 3) I don't have a laser or powder coating facility (Hamersh!te and 9" grinder is more my line!) :)

This bumper is my handiwork:

Bumper

Cheers Bishbosh and yes I am OOP North and a bit west of the Shetland Islands, so not really

easy.

Contacting North Offroad is a good idea, but I assume he will need the car as well. Not practicle

for me.

Anyway won´t hurt to give them a ring. :D

Bazza, balls aint a problem the 2 black Labs are though so I need the boot for them and the back seat for customers when it earns its keep!

To be honest im planning to run it as a full body for another couple of years while I get the suspension and drive train to my satisfaction, then its destined to become yet another 100" hybrid.

Will we all look back in 20 years when good 4 door classics command strong money and wonder if we did the right thing choping them up?