DISCO 2 TD5 FUEL COOLER

shag

Good afternoon, has anyone had experience of COOLANT LEAK FROM FUEL COOLER??

Mine leaks coolant but only when cold. Have tried to obtain new seals but am told they are not separately available, and that I`ll have to get a complete cooler.

Will be very grateful to learn if anyone else has had this problem and how they`ve oercome it.

THANKS ALL

Shag

OT, but I notice the 6,000th member just signed in.

Is than an achievement, or (Yawn) boring??

Crickey.

What is startling is that, at 20 entries per page, there are 138 pages of members with a post count less than 1.

IE Haven't posted either a question or an answer. That's nearly half the membership!!

Better stop there before the Hijack becomes too blatant, especially as I have no way of answering the original question. Microcat not running and I've never taken a Disco 2 apart.

Sorry Shag, we do have some people versed in Disco 2's, or at least the TD5 engine, which I guess always has some method of cooling the fuel.

Congratulations on being 1 in 6,000, and 'popping your cherry' as I believe that saying goes. There are at least 2,741 who have yet to take the plunge!!

Cheers.

it's part of the fuel system on a TD5 and it ermmmmmmm cools the fuel

i've got a couple in my garage not doing anything if your interested

Thanks, might well be interested, depending a bit on where you are. There doesn`t seem to be anything wrong with the cooler itself, just the seals, but I think it ain`t going to be easy to just get the seals.

Shag

What is a fuel cooler ????

Shaun

Unburnt fuel returns to the tank from the cylinder head via the cooler which a) apparently stops the tank from melting, as the fuel is v. hot, and B) maintains the fuel at the optimum temperature. Its located on the offside of the head, mounted horizontally, with hoses for coolant in and coolant out, and smaller-diameter pipes for fuel in and fuel out.

Shag

Thanks, might well be interested, depending a bit on where you are. There doesn`t seem to be anything wrong with the cooler itself, just the seals, but I think it ain`t going to be easy to just get the seals.

Shag

i'd be very supprised if this thing was intended to have it's seals replaced as it looks like its pressed and riveted together - i'm on the staffs/shrops borders but it's not to big to post - send me a PM (if that works on here) if your interested

they do make very good veg oil heaters btw - not that i used this one for that

There doesn`t seem to be anything wrong with the cooler itself, just the seals, but I think it ain`t going to be easy to just get the seals.

Shag

Just measure the O-rings and go to a decent seal place, not Halfrauds or the like. For all I know you could buy some online in the UK. O-rings are available, we have bought a few. The end clips on the cooler are reusable. Nothing goes wrong with the cooler itself, it is made by Serck and is good quality.

i'd be very supprised if this thing was intended to have it's seals replaced as it looks like its pressed and riveted together - i'm on the staffs/shrops borders but it's not to big to post - send me a PM (if that works on here) if your interested

they do make very good veg oil heaters btw - not that i used this one for that

Hi Sean

If you still have a spare Fuel Cooler I`d be interested in buying it; I don`t mind making a trip to collect (I`m in Cardiff). How much £ do you have in mind?

Cheers

Shag