Green Laning Advice

sotal

I've done a good amount of off roading at the local quarry now, which is fun but is also getting a bit samey.

So I've been trying to look into green laning but I'm getting a bit lost as to what's what and where I can and can't go.

I found the way finder project and registered for free, put my OS grid ref in and it came up with hundreds of lanes in my local area, having looked at most of them they're tiny and most are just slightly rough roads rather than proper green lanes.

Looking a bit further a field a few decent ones look to exist over between ashbourne and matlock, I've been down one of them which is quite long but not that rough - no chance of getting stuck etc.

So what I was worried about with those green lanes is whether or not they are still green lanes etc, don't want to get angry people phoning the police! What's the best way to find out?

The next problem is how many people should go at once? I've got a friend who's into off-roading but don't know many other people who are in to it. Would just two people be wise or should you go in a group of more? I was thinking 3 vehicles would be a sensible number.

Next question is what kind of gear is required, I have a slightly lifted swb series lr, I have a Superwinch X6 (which isn't fitted yet as I'm not sure if it's got enough poke) I have some very heavy duty towing ropes. The other vehicle would be a lwb series pickup.

What do you do if you get completely stuck?

Finally would I be better just joining a club? I've realised that the badlrc club seems to be the main one for the area I'm looking at and they organise quite a few events, had a quick look at the website and their forum but it's very quiet - Is there any members on here?

Anybody else from the same area who fancies doing the same thing?

"Finally would I be better just joining a club?"

I'd say Yes. A few years ago I suggesting tagging along as a Guest, and got a lukewarm response, on the basis that I wanted the benefits but wasn't paying my dues. Comparing the Membership and joining fee to the cost of fuel I put in every week I thought they had a point, so I joined. The membership year starts in Jan, so join now to get your full monies worth!!

"I've realised that the badlrc club seems to be the main one for the area I'm looking at and they organise quite a few events, had a quick look at the website and their forum but it's very quiet"

Presumably the Peak and Dukeries, yes the website is quiet, but how 'noisey' are other local club sites? I don't know.

" - Is there any members on here?"

Yes,

The P&D monthly meet (1st Monday of the Month is possibly some way for you. 8.00pm is early, 8.30 busier, 9.00 crowded. We seem to be all the customers on that Monday. No Food on Mondays BTW, chefs night off.

Alternatively join GLASS, the North Derbyshire meet is same time, same place, the South Derbyshire meet is on the A6, so closer to you, I think. I've only been once, several years ago, so can't comment further on the meeting style. Assuming someone there organises Green lane runs you would get an alternative view.

Reverting to the P&D, Green lane runs are about once a month, always on Saturdays, starting 12.00 until dark, or 6-ish in the summer. Bring a light lunch. Intended as suitable for families, they are led by a standard Rangie Classic on Colway BFG AT look alikes.

Some people carry winches, but I don't recall one ever being needed. Very occasionally people have needed a tow. Add a shovel / spade to what you have already. Reversing away from a problem is NOT failure, so two vehicles is fine.

The routes chosen show respect for the ground, so some lanes are 'only uphill when dry'.

As indicated in other threads, I 'hold maps', open gates, enjoy the countryside view, etc. This is what I prefer, so can only assume the other drivers like what they get.

The GL organiser is at the pub meet, so call in if you want a face to face. He doesn't seem to mark maps as such, you are left to read the GLASS Wayfinder, then ask questions. There is nothing to stop you joining runs and tracking as you go. On the last few months somebody has brought a PC with Memory Map installed, so queries can be reviewed without knocking drinks over while re-folding a paper map.

Is that enough for now?

What are you looking for from a green lane? If you want challenging terrain, mud, ruts and such, then find another off-road driving site. Green lanes are about getting out into the countryside and using your Landrover as it was designed to work - not about finding limits. If you find that you are getting stuck, then you probably ought not to be on that particular green lane. Remember that these are public rights of way used by farmers as access to their land as well as by horse riders, cyclists and ramblers. While it would be nice if we could go out into the countryside and have a laugh trying out winches and stuff it is not sustainable. Do it and we give those who would see us banned from the countryside the ammunition they need against us. Then it is gone for everyone. Sorry to appear to give a lecture, I feel quite strongly about it.

As David rightly says, join a responsible club. You will get all the information and details you need, guidance, friends and the knowledge you need to get out and use the lanes sustainably and responsibly. I cannot speak for the clubs David suggests, but I know that not all clubs are as responsible as others.

You might consider joining in one of the forum green lane trips. They will take you out of your area and you get to meet folk too. :)

Cheers

Chris

Thanks for the replies, re-reading my post I can see how it looked like I was after somewhere really challenging - In all honesty I'm not! I was more worried about getting stuck!

David - Thanks for the info - the club and website I was looking at was Badlrc, which is buxton and district (http://www.badlrc.co.uk)

I've just had a scan over the P&D website and I presume that's a seperate club in roughly the same area?

The Badlrc looks good as it has trials events to push the land rover and green laning to get out and about, is the P&D the same?

I don't mind travelling across that way once every couple of months or so, it's not too far, I live just outside stoke-on-trent. I guess it would be good to at least start with a club and get to know which routes can be used.

I'd love to do one of the forum green lane trips, just got to keep an eye out for one not too far away and at the right time!

"I've just had a scan over the P&D website and I presume that's a seperate club in roughly the same area?

The Badlrc looks good as it has trials events to push the land rover and green laning to get out and about, is the P&D the same?"

Yes, and Yes.

I've sometimes watched the competitive events, but never taken part.

Cheers

The next problem is how many people should go at once? I've got a friend who's into off-roading but don't know many other people who are in to it. Would just two people be wise or should you go in a group of more? I was thinking 3 vehicles would be a sensible number.

Next question is what kind of gear is required, I have a slightly lifted swb series lr, I have a Superwinch X6 (which isn't fitted yet as I'm not sure if it's got enough poke) I have some very heavy duty towing ropes. The other vehicle would be a lwb series pickup.

What do you do if you get completely stuck?

As the club & lane thing hs been answered, I thought I could answer the other bits.

How many? Max 4 vehicles. This is to reduce the impact (both physical and visual) of the group and reduce the wait time/convoy queue at gates & obstacles. 3 vehicles is a good number. Two can be ok, but you need to 'dynamic risk assess' (sorry!) to prevent your recovery vehicle getting stuck to. Some people lane solo, but I never advise it to people seeking advice. ;)

What kit? Hmm, the list varies depending on which member is in the group and the experience. But minimum is a proper recovery rope (not neccesarily a kerr) d shackles & strops. Shovel (for snow or mud) and basic tools. Also think of yourself such as waterproofs, boots & gloves along with a flask of hot drink, food & energy stuff like mars bars etc.

It's always best to have it, it doesn't take much weight and sods law says if you don't have it you will need it.

Finally what to do if you get completely stuck? Good question and can happen to the best of us. If 3 vehicles aren't enough, you have a problem. Best going to eat humble pie at the nearest farm and see if they are willing to get their big tractor out for a nominal cash fee.

Alternatively, if very far from habitation (e.g. middle of wales) and one vehicle remains unstuck, leave the stuck one and come back the day after. Preferably a lot more friends and kit - trust me, it probably isn't going anywhere! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Just to clarify the club situation P and D (peak and dukeries) is the local ALRC club and is ok if you like that sort of thing. B.A.D.L.R.C (buton and district land rover club) Is not ALRC affiliated and its members (me included) are more free in what they can do to their motors.