Replacing the seals in a power steering box

Does anybody know how easy/difficult it is to replace the seals in a power steering box (it's the 3 bolt type). Do you have to strip the steering box down or can the seals be replaced by simply prising out the old ones and drifting the new ones in?

Fluid is leaking from underneath onto the drop arm so it is this one I'm most interested in.

I have already managed to remove the drop arm from the steering box (one of the lucky ones I guess).

Thanks

I've replaced the seals twice - the first time it didn't work at all, but did reduce the leak a bit, and the second time it fixed the leak for about 6-weeks. If the leak isn't too excessive, then a table spoon or so of brake fluid in the reservoir might cure it.

This is a typical PAS box seal kit -

med_gallery_2_315_444616.jpg

Les.

Thanks for the reply.

The P/S box seems to leak more just afer switching the engine off (as opposed to sitting on the drive with the engine running) and even then it varies in how much leaks. I'll see how it goes and maybe try to get hold of another steering box and have a go at replacing the seals on the old one.

I'd have to agree with jim.

I bought a kit for the six bolt and thought i'd research how hard it was before doing it, and too many people said in previous posts what a pain it was.

The general thought was to put half a cup of brake fluid in as it makes the seals swell.

Mine was real bad- like getting through nearly 1 litre per 3 weeks! :(

As mine was pretty bad i was going to change the seals but thought i might as well try it.

Within two days the leak had stopped! :D

Sorted!

Waste of money buying the seal kit!

It must have been a landrover owner who found this out!

I just cant see any other car owner putting brake fluid in the power steering! :lol: :lol: