Range Rover Classic Rear recovery bumpers

jules

Lets see the pics

I'm looking for a rear bumper for my LSE

Must haves

Recover points

Jack-able

Pretty

I don't like most of the ones on the market so it looks like I will have to make one.

So what have people made

There are some very nice Aus ones that I like but the guy's no longer make them

Jules

I got this from the 4x4 accessory store

complete1.jpg

Been very good, although the powder coating has now fallen off. Would go for zinc passivated if I was to do it again.

All the bits can be seen on my web site at http://www.derrick.demon.co.uk/rrstufffiles/rear.html if that is of any help to you.

It incorporates a tank guard as well as a receiver type hitch for changing between drop plate for towing, and NATO hitch for recovery etc.

The corner frames were only specified to comply with ALRC silhouette rules if required, and have since been modified..

Jules this is a TJM style one. Stong but a bit basic . Has the tow bar fitting in it too

fdc5_1.JPG

fe16_1.JPG

This one was for sale on Ebay for $100 About £40. Did not sell , nearly bought it just in case i get a rangie , but as i have just bought an ARB roof rack and a set of alloys for the disco from Ebay i thought i better had not as Sue would not be happy :)

This is what Mr Orange has on the back of his:

Rearbumpercomplete.JPG

Seems to work well, and doesn't reduce departure angle...

I have had loads of Classics and every single one I have wiped out one of the rear corners and I need something which protects the corners. That's way I didn't go for one before but I have been temped to weld blocks on the end

I haven't knackered the corners yet and it's definitely taken some abuse!

There are a couple of bumpers about that mimic the standard one, even down to having metal formed/welded into the shape of the standard plastic end caps. They don't go round the corner, though, and to be honest, if you're wrecking corners completely, they won't offer much protection to anything other than the 3 inches of bodywork that they hide!

Bish's bumper looks ideal to me - stronger in side 'impacts' and offers more strength when the rear end is landed on something. If you ask hime really nicely, he might even give you some directions... ;)

Jules

I was suffering the same problems which is why I bought what I did.

Knowing more about what is available, mainly thanks to this forum, I would probably go for something different, as mine certainly does not fulfil your requirement of pretty! It does have the jacking points though.

The bars that run below the bodywork, have saved the lights on a number of occasions.

All the damage on the body panels was done prior to fitting this bumper.

I was also popping the rivets that hold on the lighting panel.

On a slightly different note I was wondering about fitting a steel panel with standard round lights off a 90 in to the space presently occupied by the present light cluster as it would be cheaper to repair when I hit something!

I had a bobtail a few years age which had trailer lights ()and a steel surround were the old lights

it worked

I was planning to cut the bottom of the body work like on the pices of the Aussie truck to reduce the body work over hanging soo much...