CV or diff?

My newly aquired 110 csw has just developed an alarming (heavy)clunking noise from up front somewhere, at least thats where it sounds like its coming from :angry: Not had it a full week yet.

Very evident on acceleration and engine braking, thought there was a faint noise on slowly freewheeling the other day - but put it down to tyres, and most definatley on full right lock, clunk, clunk, clunk.

Nothing obvious from a look underneath - wheels aren't rubbing etc. No major oil leaks, chrome nice and shiney and moist with oil on the swivels.

Only thing is a bit of play in the prop shaft about 10th / 8th of a turn slack between front diff and transfer box.

I'm suspecting the cv, but could it be the diff or something else more sinister.

What tests can I do to prove or disprove this other than jacking up that wheel and spining it. How big a job is it, what will i need, or is it easier to buy another axle?

The vehicle had sat for a while and i've done about 350 miles. Oils etc were all changed about a year ago by po.

:unsure:

Thanks in advance

Steve