07 Towing Electrics

Guest WALFY

Has anyone fitted electrics to their new Def. I've purchased a genuine set and there is 2 parts to it. The plug bit on the rear and a long loom and then a separate smaller loom with a relay in it. Instructions for that bit say about taking the radio out and cutting/splicing the loom of the car.

Is this necessary? I'm not to keen to start cutting it about just yet. Does anyone know what the relay controls?

Has anyone fitted electrics to their new Def. I've purchased a genuine set and there is 2 parts to it. The plug bit on the rear and a long loom and then a separate smaller loom with a relay in it. Instructions for that bit say about taking the radio out and cutting/splicing the loom of the car.

Is this necessary? I'm not to keen to start cutting it about just yet. Does anyone know what the relay controls?

Does the Landy have a bulb failure indicator? i.e. a warning light that indicates a blown bulb anywhere. If so then the relay may well be to bypass this facility- a trailer will not necessarily have a fog or reverse light and so if not bypassed the bulb failure warning light will be on all the time when towing...

Shrek

Shrek

Thanks for that. Will only connect up the bigger loom at first then and see if I need to cut my loom.

It says to splice into a green/white wire on the back of a specific switch on the dash. Can I splice into any white/gren wire in a more suitable position or will it do strange things if I go elsewhere for the wire?

Beginning to wish that I'd ticked the electrics box on the options list when I ordered :( .

When I get to see my car I'll take some pics. Er indoors has it and I'm not allowed near it unless it's to fuel it up or clean it. I can't believe the amount of salt on the roads. Car gets filthy as soon as you drive it. Only had it a week and it's done 1k miles and been washed 3 times already. No problems except that when you wash the front screen there are to many wipes and it then smears the screen. Is there a way to reduce the number of sweeps of the wipers?

I didn't need to haggle I got 13% discount off list price :D :D :D. It also came, as in delivered to my door with a full tank of fuel, warning triangle and a first aid kit.

Mo

Had no choice. They came as standard along with the rubber footwell mats. I didn't even think about the electrics on the options list. Just looking for an A bar now, but having no luck

A fair bit then. I don't think a dog guard would look right in the 90. Plus er indoors wouldn't want it anyway. I don't understand why they won't move off list price. If they did you wouldn't haggle so much for the add on bits.

I suspect that the additional wiring with the relay is the split charge circuit for caravans to keep leisure battery charged. I took the tow electrics off my 03 plate 90 xs before I sold it and it fitted my '07 90 with no problems.

There is a large vertical plastic flap at the rear of the o/s rear wheelarch. Clipped up behind this and not that easy to see is a large multi-plug. The towing electrics simply plug into this. You need to route the cable up between the fuel tank and the chassis rail, it's a bit fiddly but easy enough to do and no cutting of wires.