Road legal when outside of the UK more than one year

Paul64

Some advice would be appreciated on how to remain road legal when outside of the UK for more than one year.

I have a 12 year RHD Defender that I will take with me to Romania in April. Apparently I cannot register this vehicle in Romania for two reasons. One it is more than 8 years old and two, it is RHD. Romania joined the EU in January this year, so I am surprised that the rules are so different.

Apparently I can buy ROVINYET (Road Fund) in Romania for one year at a time.

I have also found a company that will offer insurance/green card for one year outside of the UK.

Does anyone know where I would stand on the MOT as my LR will be on UK plates and remain registered with the DVLA. At the moment I can only imagine that I will have to reenter the UK once a year to renew it. The thought of this causes vast waves of nausea!

Anything else to consider.

Thanks in advance!

Paul

Some advice would be appreciated on how to remain road legal when outside of the UK for more than one year.

I have a 12 year RHD Defender that I will take with me to Romania in April. Apparently I cannot register this vehicle in Romania for two reasons. One it is more than 8 years old and two, it is RHD. Romania joined the EU in January this year, so I am surprised that the rules are so different.

Apparently I can buy ROVINYET (Road Fund) in Romania for one year at a time.

I have also found a company that will offer insurance/green card for one year outside of the UK.

Does anyone know where I would stand on the MOT as my LR will be on UK plates and remain registered with the DVLA. At the moment I can only imagine that I will have to reenter the UK once a year to renew it. The thought of this causes vast waves of nausea!

Anything else to consider.

Thanks in advance!

Paul

What's wrong with driving it back to the UK once a year?

I did the same with mine when it was still registered in Germany.

JJ

Guest diesel_jim

Back to the UK is the only option (unless you know someone who can do MoT's by post.... ;);) )n your insurance will be invalid if you have a prang, and knowing the way the EU thing works, we'll end up getting the sh!%%y end of the stick, everyone else will be able to come to the UK in unregistered/un MoT/uninsured/un roadworthy cars, but as soon as we do it, we'll get the book thrown at us.

the gov't don't seem to understand that folk might actully want to travel around for 12+ months.... its just not in their brains! :angry:

I've had this before with a mate who used a British registered van in France.

(i) UK MOT required.

(ii) UK road tax still payable.

Using a UK registered vehicle in Europe without UK road tax is an offence the same as if in UK.

OK less chance of being caught than here but information is now exchanged between member countries of the EU.

My mate now has a brand new Belgian registered van. Recently he was caught on a UK speed camera. The Police contacted him abroad :(

If you let UK MOT & tax expire then be prepared for a fine when bringing back to UK as the automatic no. plate recognition cameras will catch you when you get off the ferry.

I couldn't find any way my friend could LEGALLY bring the old (M reg) van back to the UK for an MOT after it had expired other then on a trailer so he ended up scrapping it over there despite it being in good condition.

I don't know the answer to your question but suspect comming back to UK once a year to MOT / tax is going to be the easiest way.

Paul Humphries

The way to travel back through the UK legaly with no MOT or tax is to book an MOT. My brother drove from felexstowe after shipping his 110 from pakistan. No MOT or tax. Just booked the last MOT of the day at a local garage and drove home inadvetantly forgettin to go for the MOT. He checked with the local police and there is no requirement for you to go to the nearest MOT station, so as long as you travel on the day of the test you can legitimally go any where.

Adrian

Tanks for your comments. I took part in that LR addict thread. However, I am just hoping there is some miraculous other option that everyone else has missed!

I must admit having to pay UK road tax is simply taking the p**s! I am having to pay Romanian road tax which is fair enough, but UK as well????? :angry:

I know I could combine it with a holiday, but most of it will be spent on the road! It is also time out from earning money, so will need to make sure the MOT expires out of season. There are a couple Brits over in RO that I have contact with who have taken their LR's. Both are on dodgy ground re MOT's, but because I'm doing tours there is no room for error.

It is very hard to get good detailed information from the authorities in RO. I have to rely on word of mouth, so can imagine that the rules have probably moved on since.

Cheers,

Paul

Could be because the brake test machine, emissions etc are all calibrated to UK standards. Also is it not all computerised now? No more manually written MOTs

Plus the pipe to the exhaust for emissions test would have to be bl**dy long :lol:

ahem - I'll get my coat !

Not knowing where your exact location will be, Is it possible to register your vehicle in another closer EU country?

Are you going to be bordering near another country?

Just a thought maybe easier to comply with another countries import/registration laws.

Andy

A friend of mine who comes from Hungary lives nearby to me in RO. He has a car less than 8 years old and obviously LHD. He had so many weeks within RO before he was obliged to register. He then had to prove residency within RO. So I would have problems registering in say Hungary when I am not resident there. I would have to have show not only proof of residency but local ID as well. I see where you are coming from, but the red tape would sink me.

Paul

A friend of mine who comes from Hungary lives nearby to me in RO. He has a car less than 8 years old and obviously LHD. He had so many weeks within RO before he was obliged to register. He then had to prove residency within RO. So I would have problems registering in say Hungary when I am not resident there. I would have to have show not only proof of residency but local ID as well. I see where you are coming from, but the red tape would sink me.

Paul

Where do you get the information from that you have to pay road tax in Romania?

I know of countries such as Switzerland and Austria where you have to but enter a monthly or yearly vignette to legally use their motorways but not on normal roads.

also i think that if anything you need to pay road tax if you stay in the country for longer than so long, so all you have to do is drive out and back into the country on the nearest border crossing within the limited tax free time.

Is Romania in the eu?

JJ

The way to travel back through the UK legaly with no MOT or tax is to book an MOT. My brother drove from felexstowe after shipping his 110 from pakistan. No MOT or tax. Just booked the last MOT of the day at a local garage and drove home inadvetantly forgettin to go for the MOT. He checked with the local police and there is no requirement for you to go to the nearest MOT station, so as long as you travel on the day of the test you can legitimally go any where.

Adrian

Not entirely accurate. There is a requirement to go to a local station, and you are only allowed to drive directly to, and directly back (assuming a fail), or to a local garage which will carry out repairs if necessary. Couldn't find the exact wording in the maze like DVLA website, but did find this: DVLA Scroll down to the bottom.

I have a feeling the exact wording is on the back of the MOT certificate....

If I remember to when I was in BAOR as it was in the good old days. If you purchased a tax free car you had to go to the nearest MOT station. If you happened to arrive after opening hrs then you could drive home then pop to the nearest station during office hrs

Where do you get the information from that you have to pay road tax in Romania?

I know of countries such as Switzerland and Austria where you have to but enter a monthly or yearly vignette to legally use their motorways but not on normal roads.

also i think that if anything you need to pay road tax if you stay in the country for longer than so long, so all you have to do is drive out and back into the country on the nearest border crossing within the limited tax free time.

Is Romania in the eu?

JJ

I got this information from another Forum member who resides in RO. Because I will be a resident too with a local address i will be subject to road tax. I have no problem at all with this as I will be using RO roads. However, I do object to paying UK road tax when I won't even be living there.

Yes, RO joined the EU in January 2007.

I got this information from another Forum member who resides in RO. Because I will be a resident too with a local address i will be subject to road tax. I have no problem at all with this as I will be using RO roads. However, I do object to paying UK road tax when I won't even be living there.

Yes, RO joined the EU in January 2007.

Why will you be eligible for road tax only because you are a resident? thats a bit of a weird rule.

if they are EU there shouldn't be a problem with registering your car there.

if i was you i would phone the Romanian embassy in the UK an get the proper information.

what are you doing at the moment tax and mot wise as you are in Germany?

JJ

Why will you be eligible for road tax only because you are a resident? thats a bit of a weird rule.

if they are EU there shouldn't be a problem with registering your car there.

if i was you i would phone the Romanian embassy in the UK an get the proper information.

what are you doing at the moment tax and mot wise as you are in Germany?

JJ

Being in the EU means nothing when it comes to rules! Remember that fiasco with UK speed cameras all having to be painted yellow because of EU regulations? Come to Germany as I have never seen one painted yellow. They are cement coloured if near a bridge and green if near a field! In fact I am surprised I haven't seen them camouflaged near the woods!

As for the registering of my LR, I got this information from a company that buys cars from Germany and imports to RO. They said nothing over 8 years and no RHD. I tried the RO authorities and got nowhere. When I tried the British Embassy they told me to talk to the RO authority. Ended up chasing my own tail. However, life in RO is a bit like that.

Being in the EU means nothing when it comes to rules! Remember that fiasco with UK speed cameras all having to be painted yellow because of EU regulations? Come to Germany as I have never seen one painted yellow. They are cement coloured if near a bridge and green if near a field! In fact I am surprised I haven't seen them camouflaged near the woods!

As for the registering of my LR, I got this information from a company that buys cars from Germany and imports to RO. They said nothing over 8 years and no RHD. I tried the RO authorities and got nowhere. When I tried the British Embassy they told me to talk to the RO authority. Ended up chasing my own tail. However, life in RO is a bit like that.

well im actually german and over there quite often 2 vistit my parents, so i am fully aware that our speedcameras are always set into teh surounding area hehehe

well eu actually means a lot to rules, especially if you are moving from one eu counry to another, as your car has been registerd there before they should reallt have to register it there as well. i know as thats the only way you can register a bowler in germany. register it in poland (eu) then import it to germany and no prob sregistering as it was registerd in a eu country before.

if i was you i would just give it a try and you cant get more than a refusal really can you...

people said i couldnt get my 110 registerd in the uk without an sva test etc, even so it passed the german tuev just before, but to start with u push ur luck as much as possible an tell them as little as possible, and then u back off bit by bit till they just about accept it.

JJ

Paul64, no need for UK road tax (or any other country's road tax) when traveling to Romania (or, AFAIK, any other EU country).

All you need is RO road tax, which you can buy at the border, at some fuel stations, post offices, online etc. It costs 28 euros per year for a LR (or you can buy a fraction for 7 days - 3 euros, 30 days - 7 euros). You get a vignette, which you must stick on the inside of the windscreen, and a receipt, which you must save and keep with the other vehicle documents.

There's no 8 year limit for importing or registering a vehicle in RO. This was until 2-3 years ago. All you have to do is pay a tax when the vehicle is 1st registered in RO (6-7000 euros :ph34r: for a Defender Tdi of that age, non EURO or EURO1). This tax is about to be lowered soon (nobody knows how soon - should be this year, probably this summer - and how much will it be). But, unfortunately, you cannot register a RHD in RO. At least the RO equivalent of DVLA doesn't encourage the registration of RHD vehicles. It can be done but it's complicated. Two things that I know for sure: the headlights would have to be replaced with the LHD type (the black stripe thingy is not legal for a permanent registration in RO) and the vehicle should have a special panoramic mirror to be able to check the incoming traffic (used when passing).

All adds I see in RO about selling RHD vehicles say that they are sold for spare parts, nobody registers them. The general idea is that you cannot register a RHD vehicle.

But, if you really want to go this way, let me know, I know somebody that works at the DVLA equivalent authority.

IMO there's no better option than to go back to UK and MOT it when it's due or earlier. There are other options (like temporary registration in another country for example) but going back to UK is what I would do.

By the way, one good thing in RO is that MOT is valid for 2 years :P (for regular use - not taxi, driving school etc).

If you have other questions or things I can help you with about RO, just let me know.