trailing arm rose joints

fabsj

Hello to all and to all a Happy New Year

does any one have any idea what size rose joints would be best to fit to the rear trailing arms on a

300 tdi disco

am very good at manufacturing and skint so am making my own to answer the question of why not

just buy the arms before it gets asked

Hello to all and to all a Happy New Year

does any one have any idea what size rose joints would be best to fit to the rear trailing arms on a

300 tdi disco

am very good at manufacturing and skint so am making my own to answer the question of why not

just buy the arms before it gets asked

dont bother using rose joints on trailing arms, i had a set of scrapiorn ones and the lasted 4 events before they were making horible knocking noises, ive now fot a set of gigglepin arms that use the johnny joints.

by some johnny joints and make your own trailing arms if you want to save some ££

johnny joints

dont bother using rose joints on trailing arms, i had a set of scrapiorn ones and the lasted 4 events before they were making horible knocking noises, ive now fot a set of gigglepin arms that use the johnny joints.

by some johnny joints and make your own trailing arms if you want to save some ££

johnny joints

I was thinking on using the QT rose jointed arms and a-frame joint, so would that be a silly thing to do now then? Or do I just buy cranked ones because my budget is a bit low and can't stetch to the likes of gigglepin's prices, (I still haven't bought any tyres for my bob yet!) :huh: I thought that the rose jointed ones would give free movement on my rear axle as I am running scorpion springs and the gwyn lewis kit.

how long will a set of johnny joints last

Pretty well i'd imagine, they're sealed, greasable (presumably to push any dirt back out) and made of good quality stuff.

If you do wear the bushings out, they're rebuildable.

More info on em here: http://www.currieenterprises.com/CEStore/johnnyjoints.aspx

Having seen them in the flesh on my mate's project truck, they're quite large in diameter (compared to the average sized LR joint) so i think they'd be fairly understressed.

how long will a set of johnny joints last

They will be fine. Good life expectancy in muddy conditions.

The problem with Jonny Joints is the max angular offset they will achieve. They are often quoted as 30 degree which is correct, but it is 15 deg in either direction. A standard A frame ball joint moves 17 deg in either direction.

There are two common solutions to this.

1. Use a J Joint on each end of the radius arm - which doubles the available offset. This does require modification of the axle end mounting though.

2. Allow the radius arm to twist on the thread where the joint screws into the arm. This gives unlimited rotational offset and is probably quite safe - but it's not a 'nice' solution from an engineering point of view. One or two people have used this method, but sleeved the bit where the joint screws in to the shaft with something like silicone hose which is stretchy enough that it can be secured with hose clips and still not tear. This prevents ingress of mud into the thread and works pretty well.

Si

I have JJ on my 3 link (supplied by Maverick) and they are still good after 2 years of comps. I have bought 8 JJ's from Currie enterprises, they cost more if you buy direct, I got mine through Tim at Straight Forward Supplies at areasonable price.