Early TD4

Badger_1

Thanks for that. So I assume they are also a permanent 4x4. In which case is the IRD on the BMW engines a different and hopefully sturdier make than is fitted to the rover engines and are the propshafts and viscous couplings the same on the petrol and diesels, as these also appear to be a weak point.

Put simply if I buy a diesel instead of a petrol will I have less risk problems with the IRD, props and VCU. Also assume the BMWs dont suffer the same head gasket failures as the petrols models.

IRD is the same from about 99 on 1.8 TD4 or V6 all have the same the gearbox's are obviously different.

I'm not a Fan of BMW as my 1.8 racer was about 1,000 times more reliable than my Td4 racer.

Don't worry none of it down falls will affect a every day car and its uses..

But Td4 manual gearboxes I could destroy on command and I was for ever snapping CV's, Shafts, IRD's and I also managed to explode a rear diff completely snapping the pinion off......and it has too many sensors for a racer

• 2 weeks later...
IRD is the same from about 99 on 1.8 TD4 or V6 all have the same the gearbox's are obviously different.

I'm not a Fan of BMW as my 1.8 racer was about 1,000 times more reliable than my Td4 racer.

Don't worry none of it down falls will affect a every day car and its uses..

But Td4 manual gearboxes I could destroy on command and I was for ever snapping CV's, Shafts, IRD's and I also managed to explode a rear diff completely snapping the pinion off......and it has too many sensors for a racer

I understand that BMW changed the diff ratio on the later freelanders to stop the rear tyre wear problem on earlier models. The rear diff was a different ratio to the front to keep the four wheel drive system "tight" and relied on constant slippage with the viscous coupling to stop the whole thing from locking up. The new ratios where closer together so that there was less rear tyre feathering and also less stress on the VC.

I would be shocked if you found a freelander that still has the early IRD still working as the tyres only lasted about 15k.

Land Rover dealt with it BMW just stole the technology

You are just as likely to have a conventional transfer box fail as a IRD.