TD4 auto versus manual

Dorsetfreelander

I have an 04 reg TD4 auto SE vwith 27K miles on it, previously I had a TD4 manual that had done 80K. I am suspicious that the auto is not pulling as well as the manual did and it changes down on hills that the previous one would sail up in top. Basically on motorways it seems top lack "umf" (technical term). Is this to be expected given the different (higher) gearing on an auto? I once had a diesel auto Frontera and often felt that the gearbox was changing down too easily but I had nothing to compare it with.

We have a 2002 TD4 auto, never had a manual. Not noticed any problems (but we live in a hilly area) and its done 91000 .(we bought it at 78000).

Does it feel the same when you do the gears manually?

My only complaint is the poor MPG (no more than 28 on a long run)

We have a 2002 TD4 auto, never had a manual. Not noticed any problems (but we live in a hilly area) and its done 91000 .(we bought it at 78000).

To a certain extent it is inevitable on any auto that it will perform less well than a manual and the Td4 is no exception.

If you are getting a power shortage and/or poor fuel consumption I read somewhere that a dodgy airflow meter can be to blame. May be worth checking it out - I don't know how much a new one is though

When I "do the gears manually" it's not really the same as a proper manual box since the tiptronic system is more like giving the auto box a suggestion rather than a command. If I put it in 5th manually and go up a hill it either cuts in the torque convertor or drops a gear just as if it is in auto mode.