cut down cab

What you're talking about is often called a 'king cab' after the US style cab on a lot of trucks.

You'll have to do something about making/adding a new bulkhead, either using the old rear door, or another bulkhead etc. a lot of people use a combination of truck cab and hard top bits. 'The ultimate' is to cut down a 110 double cab roof, but they're stupidly expensive to get hold of - Ask Will Warne.

I have done two now and there loads about, everyone a bit different, if you PM me your e mail I can send you some pics.

There are several ways to do it depends on what materials you have to start with and what finish you want.

Some have the top half of a pick up door which are hard to come by, especially the hinges. Some simply go for the truck cab top with sliding windows.

post-978-1199904737_thumb.jpg

post-978-1199904761_thumb.jpg

@Treebloke could you post a few more pic's of yours? I'm toying with the idea of using a 90 roof sides and rear door to extend the cab on my 110 pic up by about 3 foot.

Or if anyone could shec some light on this it would be much appriciated.

Cheers

John

post-978-1200078315_thumb.jpg

Thought I would put a few more pics of cutting the roof down to king cab size, just wish I had taken a few more now.

You will need to disconnect the rear roof light and wiring together with the washer bottle pipe.

post-978-1200078474_thumb.jpg

We used the origional seem that joins the roof together, cut the top away from the bottom, you can afford to damage the rear/top section because theres more there than what you need. We had some expensive wooden steps available.

post-978-1200078793_thumb.jpg

Once the tops off you need to cut the sides down, this was probably the trickiest bit, need to get your sums right. Measure twice, cut once. We had a galv Z bar lying around which was just the right fit to carry the rear and corner sections.

post-978-1200079065_thumb.jpg

post-978-1200079294_thumb.jpg

post-978-1200079370_thumb.jpg

post-978-1200079457_thumb.jpg

We filled in the lower half of the back with marine ply then lined the outside with chequer plate

post-978-1200079531_thumb.jpg

Because I managed to find an upper top half of a rear door including hinges, I cut my origional rear door down and put it back on. It also carried the spare wheel for a while. This was before I had the roll cage fitted, I dont bother with this method now, the spare wheel sits in the roll cage behind the rear window and on top of the rear winch.

post-978-1200079606_thumb.jpg

You can hardly see the join now.