rear crank seal

Guest weeble

I fitted a new rear crank seal a couple of months ago when I fitted the new crank, but as usual it has started leaking again. Steady flow of drops from the drain hole. Is there any additive that that can be added to the oil to stop it leaking like you get for for power steering.

Any advice greatfuly recieved, I don't realy want to drop the engine out so soon.

I fitted a new rear crank seal a couple of months ago when I fitted the new crank, but as usual it has started leaking again. Steady flow of drops from the drain hole. Is there any additive that that can be added to the oil to stop it leaking like you get for for power steering.

Any advice greatfuly recieved, I don't realy want to drop the engine out so soon.

Been down this road before . Took 3 oil seals to be replaced before i worked out what was going on.

You the problem you have is crank case pressure. This is causing the rear main oil seal to leak. Due to it is week and will leak if too much pressure it put behind it. The reason you have crank case pressure is 1 of a couple for things. But mainly Head gasket gone, or piston rings gone. Unless less you sort that out the rear main will keep on going.

Been down this road before . Took 3 oil seals to be replaced before i worked out what was going on.

You the problem you have is crank case pressure. This is causing the rear main oil seal to leak. Due to it is week and will leak if too much pressure it put behind it. The reason you have crank case pressure is 1 of a couple for things. But mainly Head gasket gone, or piston rings gone. Unless less you sort that out the rear main will keep on going.

This website goes some way to explaning blow by.............

http://www.misterfixit.com/blow-by.htm

perhaps it will be helpfull................

Edited by landi41

Thanks for the reply's. It is on my 200tdi 90 not on Weeble's motor. I just had access to his computor.

1 thing I did notice was the small pipe from the rocker box to the airbox was dangling in mid air by the airbox. With the lack of suction from the airway would/could this cause a problem. I just want to look at all poss solutions before I rip the engine out again. I can't really afford to do it before xmas so any short term fix will be appreciated.

Thanks for the reply's. It is on my 200tdi 90 not on Weeble's motor. I just had access to his computor.

1 thing I did notice was the small pipe from the rocker box to the airbox was dangling in mid air by the airbox. With the lack of suction from the airway would/could this cause a problem. I just want to look at all poss solutions before I rip the engine out again. I can't really afford to do it before xmas so any short term fix will be appreciated.

I think that disconnected pipe could have some bearing on the subject according to what i read on the referenced website........

Had a quick look at that website and it seemed to me that I wasn't getting any draw from the rocker box and therefore getting a build up of pressure to some extent. Will address that problem asap.

Many thanks

Not by choice.I've become a bit of a dab hand at it now. The last rear crank seal took about 4 hrs from car going into the workshop to driving out. I don't think I'd bust a gut doing it so quick in the future. Not sure if I fitted a genuine seal or a bearmach 1. This time I'll go for the real macoy. Just to be sure.

Update

Drove to Kent in it at the weekend to pick up some parts.But didn't get them. But that's another story. Got back to Tidworth late lastnite and there was huge plumes of smoke when I had to stop at the camp gate :unsure: . The breather pipe was loose in the air again with a steady flow of smoke coming from it and now it has started to blow oil past the filler cap. :( If you take the cap of while running you get a "whooshing" sound of air being forced somewhere, which is engine speed relevant. I am now convinced that the ring(s) have gone west. If I keep it topped ut with oil what damage can I do to the engine. It has to last till xmas so I can get it in the workshop. I only drive it at weekends. Any advice greatfully recieved.

Update

Drove to Kent in it at the weekend to pick up some parts.But didn't get them. But that's another story. Got back to Tidworth late lastnite and there was huge plumes of smoke when I had to stop at the camp gate :unsure: . The breather pipe was loose in the air again with a steady flow of smoke coming from it and now it has started to blow oil past the filler cap. :( If you take the cap of while running you get a "whooshing" sound of air being forced somewhere, which is engine speed relevant. I am now convinced that the ring(s) have gone west. If I keep it topped ut with oil what damage can I do to the engine. It has to last till xmas so I can get it in the workshop. I only drive it at weekends. Any advice greatfully recieved.

Just a point to note that it is not uncommon for a 200tdi to have a headgasket leak into one of the pushrod 'tubes'(often cylinder no.4) without blowing into the waterway. This has the result of pressurizing the crancase as you have described. You can often hear the blowing too, which may be what you can hear.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Diff

Tony

Don't need to get another engine after the work that I have done on this one. The crank got changed and any part that touches it. So I hope that the bottom bit of the engine is OK. I was so tempted to do the rings but decided against it because of the cost, I think I'm now reaping the benefits of being a tite ar*a.