front winch mount, can it be made like a d44 rear x member

russ1

Hello people

I am having a daft day and have had a idea but am abit unsure if it would work or be strong enough.

I have moved the rad on my 200tdi defender so i want to move my 8274 as far back as poss, so was thinking could i cut off the front crossmember part that the rad sits on and make somthing like whats on the back of devons 110

Like this

http://www.devon4x4.com/component/option,c...ject,1/entry,11

hope you understand what i mean.

Probs so many reasons why i cant do this but no problem asking.

Thanks

Russ,

The main dilemma with this particular mod is where to put the intercooler.

You can remove the front cross member and the rad will move back and to the left and sit alongside the steering box nicely , that will get your winch well back and give you a good strong mount and a cracking approach angle. That's the easy bit.

You're then left with an intercooler with nowhere to live. You could try it across the top of the engine - grow some bracketry off the top of both suspension turrets - mounted through the bonnet with a scoop but I can tell you through experience that this is an airflow dead zone and you won't get enough air through the intercooler.

So, what you need to find is a location for the intercooler that will get good airflow through it and yet will ideally make the pipe runs no longer than they are presently.

I compromised in the end and moved the rad and intercooler assy back as far as it would go. Paul Wightman then made me a mount to suit from 8mm plate, so that I have a winch mounted further back than I could with a bumper, in a bombproof welded in winch mounting but still with the intercooler in the direct airflow, splendid :)

This not the best photo but it gives you an idea -

Wales028.jpg

HTH

Mo

I don't know if it helps, but if you are looking for places to cool something or duct air from to cool something, try putting some intakes at the base of the windscreen (back of the bonnet). This area typically has much higher pressure than mid-bonnet. You could mount the cooler anywhere and just run a duct from the back of the bonnet with a small scoop or louvres. Or just mount it directly under the bonnet there with some 'speed holes'.

The other useful place for air pressure is right at the front, but this area tends to be 'busier' - rad, winch, lights etc etc.

Regarding the steelwork - anything is possible!

Hope it helps, Al.

:)

I'm going to chop the front of the chassis out for the winch mount on my bobtail, but then that's a 3.9 so there's no intercooler to worry about and the rad's in the back.

the only thing to decided is how much gap i want between the back of the winch and the crank pulley on the v8.

Thanks people

Intercooler shouldnt be a problem as i have moved the rad back and to the left away from the steering box i have orderd a different cooler that is 600mm wide but only 150mm tall so it will mount across the top of the rad, looking at keeping the winch sitting between the rails of the chassis the top of the winch should be below the bottom of the cooler, therefore the cooler will be in direct flow from the grill.

Was thinking of making some sort of box to dirct the air to the intercooler and rad so it doesnt escape hitting the cooler and rad.

When I built my winch mount I was thinking of moving my rads an all as well - but on a Td5 that's even more akward than on a Tdi, (especially if you have a uprated intercooler fitted.)

So I decided to build a winch mount that sits on top of the chassis rails instead of in between.

I ended up with maybe a few degrees less approach angle than if I had moved the whole front end, but lots less work...

(Pictures of winchmount can be found in members vehicles)

JJ