Noisy traction control

shooter

"muffled cattle grid"

Many thanks for the info, but there's nothing muffled about the noise mine makes! It's more like somebody banging a metal rod from side to side inside a scaffolding pole! I took it into a main dealer and they 'allegedly' had a good look at it and said there was nothing wrong. I can't believe a vehicle this expensive would make such an awful racket as standard. Do you really think it's normal?

I'm embarrassed to go off-road where the wheels might spin!

Welcome :)

Yes it is. Somebody described it recently as being a bit like driving over a muffled cattle grid, which is about right.

My cattle grid didn't seem muffled at all! :lol:

As a follow-up to my first post, I still get that electrical pulsing noise after turning off the engine, on the odd occasion - still haven't located the source of the noise - by the time I get to the bonnet release it stops, though on one occasion it stopped when I centrally locked.

Only somebody familiar with it could tell you whether it is normal or not. If you fill in your profile to say where you are, you might find somebody willing to take a listen, who has a D2. It is an annoying noise though, and it triggers far too often when not needed, and then when it is needed it doesn't do the business. I'd take the old fashioned centre difflock any day, but as I use the Defender off road it isn't a big problem for me.

Fitting the centre diff lock kit from Ashcrofts would certainly cut down the racket off road, if you use it a lot off road. I'd also point out that the standard factory tyres are carp, and the ETC has to go all the time with them to stand any chance of getting anywhere. Decent tyres which actaually have some grip are a worthwhile upgrade...

not a clue on the T/C, but isn't the whirring under the bonnet the rotor oil filter?

I don't want to hijack this thread, but yes, there is the whirring sound of the oil rotor, but also, rarely, an electrical pulsing sound which I haven't identified and no one here has guessed (yet).

Is a centre diff lock conversion expensive or difficult (2002 post-facelift D2)?

On another note, I understand that locking the front-back diff. does nothing for the differential slip on the same axle, and this is common for many 4X4's. And I understand the need for a differential on an axle for anything more than walking pace on mud or snow, when tyres can scrub a bit. But why not fit the axle with a limited slip diff? or am I missing something?

Bog Monster

Thanks for your advice so far. One more question, if you don't mind...

I spend a fair bit of time off-road when shooting and fishing, so your idea of better tyres sounds like a good one. Could you advise a tyre which is OK for general road use, but one which would give me better traction in the periods when I'm off-road? My Td5 splits its time between family use (city plus motorway) and weekend off-roading. I'm looking for a tyre that will do both jobs to the max.

Can you suggest anything?

BFG AT or the cheaper nearly-equivalent, the General Grabber AT2, if a good all-terrain is good enough for your off road use. Otherwise, if you need something more aggressive, the BFG Mud-Terrain is surprisingly refined for a mud tyre, despite its age. I run BFG AT's on my Discovery 2 (255/70R16 though they are also available in the std 235/70R16 size) and I am about to invest in some Grabber AT2s for my Ford Ranger for much the same reason - standard road tyres are just too useless when it gets wet.

My t/c also sounds like a machine gun and has done for the last 3 years so it must be normal!

Tyres make a huge difference my current pirrelis are nearly worn out and the old girl slips and slides eveywhere and thats just on the road, t/c and abs cuts in quite a lot purely becasue the tyres are ****e :blink:

Fitted plenty of different types of spinnner filter to my TD5 but have never heard it wind down as i have heard on the trucks at work.

Mine also makes the pulsating buzzing noise from under the bonnet which i think is the abs modulator, and the hissing from the sls as you get out of the car and also when you unload from the boot as the sls corrects itself.

Lynall

I should say it won't shut it up completely - mine still kicks in far too often but that is partly due to the surge of torque you get at the wheels in a V8 auto when you prod the throttle which almost always causes a chatter and shower of gravel on a loose surface - manual and auto Td5s I have driven are much less inclined to do it.

On a dirt road the TC will nearly always kick in if you put your foot down from a stop. I do it on purpose on test drives to see if it works! We are a few k's from any tarred road and with the rain we have had lately I have had to use diff lock to get to work most days. I must say with the Detroit and all I have had fun recently, although the 110 looks slightly dirty.