Disco 2 rear diff

rormck

Hi ...Question ? Can i fit a 24 spline 4 pinion diff to the rear off my disco 2 and remove the rotoflex coupling. Its from my old 200tdi disco and can i use the propshaft from the same source. Is it the correct length.. Reason for doing this , i will only need 1 spare diff. Thanks Roy

Cant you just stick the flange from the 200 diff onto the td5 diff? alot easier and no mess either ;)

Have a measure on the 200 diff from the flange and get under the td5 and you will be able to see if the prop will fit.

Another reason to stick with the td5 diff is its prob 10 years newer than the 200 diff.

Lynall

Hi ...Question ? Can i fit a 24 spline 4 pinion diff to the rear off my disco 2 and remove the rotoflex coupling. Its from my old 200tdi disco and can i use the propshaft from the same source. Is it the correct length.. Reason for doing this , i will only need 1 spare diff. Thanks Roy

I've not done this conversion before, but removal of the Rotoflex coupling (some people call it a "guibo") would result in noticable increase in noise, vibration and harshness. It also becomes yet another unijoint to have to periodically apply grease to.

Having said that, the 2 pinion diff on the Disco II is not a particularly strong unit if you do go offroading a lot - it has a tendency to eventually break the spider gears due to the shock loading when ETC detects and controls a spinning wheel. The pulsing nature of ETC sends a lot of shock through to the little spider gears.

An ARB air locker would definitely strengthen the rear diff dramatically.

Interestingly, the front diff (same diff centre as rear) seems to be much less likely to fail in heavy offroading conditions. Not exactly sure why, as the same sort of forces do apply to the front as well as the rear each time a wheel lifts off from the ground and starts spinning madly when the boot is put on the accelerator pedal.

Lawrance Lee

'99 DII V8 auto

Melbourne, Australia

I've not done this conversion before, but removal of the Rotoflex coupling (some people call it a "guibo") would result in noticable increase in noise, vibration and harshness. It also becomes yet another unijoint to have to periodically apply grease to.

Having said that, the 2 pinion diff on the Disco II is not a particularly strong unit if you do go offroading a lot - it has a tendency to eventually break the spider gears due to the shock loading when ETC detects and controls a spinning wheel. The pulsing nature of ETC sends a lot of shock through to the little spider gears.

An ARB air locker would definitely strengthen the rear diff dramatically.

Interestingly, the front diff (same diff centre as rear) seems to be much less likely to fail in heavy offroading conditions. Not exactly sure why, as the same sort of forces do apply to the front as well as the rear each time a wheel lifts off from the ground and starts spinning madly when the boot is put on the accelerator pedal.

Can't say I have noticed a NVH problem having driven vehicles with both and the later D1 V8 went back to using a UJ on the rear prop!

I too share the concern about about ETC hammering the **** out of the drivetrain, it's rough on everything and I do wonder with a V8 auto swinging on it, how long the 2 pin diff would last if used all the time in off road conditions. Fortunately I have a Defender for that :)

If any thing on my 300tdi I found the opposite to be true and the back end got quieter after replaceing the rotoflex with a U/J. Also it is not exactly a hardship to grease one more joint whilst your rolling around under the car to do the others.

Pete.