Test Book (Diagnosis)

gsgtsg

Dealers no longer use "Testbook" and haven't for several years. "Testbook" (and Testbook 2 and Testbook 3) was superceded by the "T4" (cockup with the trademarks - I read somewhere that HP still own the Testbook name!) a few years back which in turn is now superceded by the "IDS" (Integrated Diagnostic System) a year or so ago which I think has Fraud origins and does all the new vehicles like D3, F2 and the Puma engined Defenders.

Omitec (makers of the T4) are now plugging the old T4 product commercially, and I think you can buy one if you have about ten grand to spare! I think they still call it the T4 though.

Don't know what a "Commercial Diagnosis" is, never seen one.

Under current legislation, the testers available to the main Dealers also have to be available to 'anybody'. Normally the price puts people off, but there will be exceptions.

For Independants the main alternative product aimed at them is Autologic, (I think produced by a firm called Diagnos).

Again there is a high 'up front' cost.

Other alternatives are the products by Blackbox Solutions (Rovacom and others).

There has been a recent, and partially bad tempered, exchange on this topic on the Rangerovers.net Diagnostic Forum. While this goes into some detail, if you can pull it out of the personal jibes, the very valid point is made that the real value of any diagnostic kit is the brain between the ears of the operator.

I'm not sure whether you are asking the question from the point of view of a private Customer, who wants quick, accurate, and cost effective maintenance of his vehicle. Alternatively I'm wondering if you are considering buying kit for your own business, existing, or future.

Because of that uncertainty I'm not sure how much help you will find the thread, but for the record it's at http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21765

Hope this Helps.

Bogmonster,I know you are very lucky in having IDS to play with,but there are a couple of things that might interest you.Testbook is still very much in use in maindealers,its still a useful tool and fully capable as you know up to 2005 odd cars.(There was an old T1 hanging about on the side of the Defender production line about 6 months ago too)

Omitec now sell T4 as "OmiPro Landrover" and its nowhere near ten grand,they do a similar thing with Rover MG too.They are still doing a T4 maintenance/upgrade service for existing owners.

There is also a T5 upgrade which the rep keeps on promising me is nearly ready,this is for D3,RR sport,FL2 and Def 07 etc,which will help out no end if its any good as I was looking at having to buy a whole new system as 05 cars are coming out of warranty.Not keen on buying IDS till we know who ends up owning LR and what system they will impose.

Hi David Sparkes - I am not intending to purchase any equipment, I was just trying to see if the main dealer kit was superior to kits used by garages. Thanks.

I'm not sure whether you are asking the question from the point of view of a private Customer, who wants quick, accurate, and cost effective maintenance of his vehicle. Alternatively I'm wondering if you are considering buying kit for your own business, existing, or future.

Because of that uncertainty I'm not sure how much help you will find the thread, but for the record it's at

Hope this Helps.

Bogmonster,I know you are very lucky in having IDS to play with,but there are a couple of things that might interest you.Testbook is still very much in use in maindealers,its still a useful tool and fully capable as you know up to 2005 odd cars.(There was an old T1 hanging about on the side of the Defender production line about 6 months ago too)

Omitec now sell T4 as "OmiPro Landrover" and its nowhere near ten grand,they do a similar thing with Rover MG too.They are still doing a T4 maintenance/upgrade service for existing owners.

There is also a T5 upgrade which the rep keeps on promising me is nearly ready,this is for D3,RR sport,FL2 and Def 07 etc,which will help out no end if its any good as I was looking at having to buy a whole new system as 05 cars are coming out of warranty.Not keen on buying IDS till we know who ends up owning LR and what system they will impose.

Interesting indeed - I had been told "officially" that Omitec were no longer supporting the system but looking at their website it would appear that this has changed.

The old Testbook 1, apart from its poor screen and the fact it was always far too slow, was arguably the best of all of them in terms of providing a one-box solution for use in a workshop environment.

Glad to hear the price of "Omipro" has come down - the prices charged to dealers have always been outrageous and this is still true of the current IDS! I wonder if the availability of the T5 will have any effect on the prices charged for the IDS...