Oil Coolers

Mark90

I want (need?) to fit both engine and gearbox oil coolers to my 90, but not sure what size to fit. Space is limited so I can't go too big, but equally I want sufficient cooling. I'll be running a 4.2 V8 on carbs with a V8 90 rad (no oil cooler in rad) and a ZF auto box. The "bog brush" oil cooler that was on the RR the ZF came from won't fit in the limited space so I need something else.

I'm thinking about using Mocal coolers like these from Demon Tweeks.

So what size and number of rows do people reckon?

Also what hose fittings are generally the most common, BSP, JIC, etc. I'll be getting hoses made up to fit so not a big issue but thought I'd go with whatever is most widely used.

I have engine oil temp and pressure guages, is it worth fitting an oil temp guage for the auto box too, or is that overkill?

TIA chaps.

I want (need?) to fit both engine and gearbox oil coolers to my 90, but not sure what size to fit. Space is limited so I can't go too big, but equally I want sufficient cooling. I'll be running a 4.2 V8 on carbs with a V8 90 rad (no oil cooler in rad) and a ZF auto box. The "bog brush" oil cooler that was on the RR the ZF came from won't fit in the limited space so I need something else.

Also what hose fittings are generally the most common, BSP, JIC, etc. I'll be getting hoses made up to fit so not a big issue but thought I'd go with whatever is most widely used.

I have engine oil temp and pressure guages, is it worth fitting an oil temp guage for the auto box too, or is that overkill?

TIA chaps.

Not sure about the engine cooler but there are two options with the gearbox cooler. The first is a Mocal Laminova (oil to water) cooler. That's what I've got. Its easy to mount and won't get bocked with mud, however they're not cheap. The other option would be to get a 50th anniversary/NAS gearbox cooler. That sits below the rad. nice and compact and the pipework can come off the shelf. Nice and easy to do. Frogs or Ashcroft will have some in stock.

It depends on how hard you are going to work the box but the bog brush on its own is pants off road, I used a B&M cooler with a Spall fan tucked up in the pick up to keep it away from the mud as well as a bog brush up front, you can leave the thermostat on for everyday use but wire an overide into the fan and leave it running flat out when you are playing in the muck - a temp gauge for the box is another wise move

B&M cooler scroll down the page, its near the bottom

Edited by dollythelw

I can answer the engine oil cooler question but you must tell me if you want or need one. :)

My lightweight has 3.5 l V8 with twin SU HIF6 carb. There is a remove oil filter and 16 row oil cooler (I think it is the wider of the 2 widths). The oil cooler take off plate does not have the thermostat fitted although I do have one of those. Fitted to the sump is an oil temp take-off to a capillary TIM oil temperature guage.

The needle on the oil temperature guage hardly moves off its mark - guage starts at 80 C - when driving along the road and on a hot day, 25 C offroading in sandy condtions it may have got up as far as 90.

In short, if I am to believe the oil temp guage (and I have checked by measuring oil cooler temp with an IR thermometer), hot oil does not seem to be an issue for me.

To answer your questions.

Use the biggest diameter hose possible. I am using 5/8 inch. Bigger would be better but you would not be able to fit the fittings to the take off plates! You need some weird size spanner 26 mm to do up the fittings - I have one of those and use also an adjustable spanner.

I spend many an hour looking through the ThinkAuto catalogue to figure out the cheapest parts, sticking with steel ones and where not available, the more expensive funky anodised alloy ones. From memory 10 JIC is cheaper than the 5/8 BSP and I have a feeling that I have a mixture of the two. The fittings were chosen so that should a hose or something else break, I can loop the hose back to the oil pump.

I have all the invoices that show part numbers and descriptions (it got complicated becasue I tried to fit a LR oil cooler - defender? using 1/2 BSP so had to return some parts) - if you want a more detailed response, let me know and I can also do some pictures.

My 4.2 V8 90 is running a TD rad as it has the biggest water capasity and it has a oil cooler built in. Then run the auto box cooler off a Range Rover infrom like on the Range Rover.

keep the Viscos and run twin 12" electric fans as helpers.

Twin 12" elec will not keep up with the cooling demarnd and you will F the engine.

Why are you running carbs out of intrest.

This is what happens when the viscos falls leaving only the twin 12" kenlows to do the work.

ixi6.JPG

The oil cooler prevented any damage to the engine on this outing

Thanks for the replies so far chaps. I need to do some measuring and see what I can fit in, there's not much room behind the rad, and won't be much in front once winch is fitted as that will sit well back. So that also means viscus and electric fans are probably out, initially will be viscus to get things up and running but will probably switch to electric. Was looking at options for locating the coolers last night and one bit of free space I considered was on top of the inner wing under the (unused) heater air intake, should be able to get a bit of air flow through using one of those ram air scoops.

Why carbs? Mainly cos that's what's on the engine already, Strombergs, was considering swapping for SU's. Shyed away from going EFI as I wanted to keep things 'simple' and electrickery free, but now thinking I might go MS and EDIS as a future project. First objective is to get a usable vehicle on the road.

I have never found space to be a issue I used all the RR hoses and pipes just shortend the odd one or two

the block is the same size as a normal V8

? ?

I have never had a tdi in a 90 so it may seam packed well in compared with tdi

Every thing fits strait in the viscos fits fine the cowling will not if you have a rr fan on it. Mine just went to all the original mounts I am not shore why you think its a hard job.

If I can do it anyone can

The V8 is sat on original mounts (original V8 90 chassis) and with the viscus fan on there is only an inch or two between that and the rad. I'll put the viscus fan on this evening and take a pic. Think the fan is a 90 one rather than RR, it came with the 90. Are your leccy fans fitted infront or behind the rad? Any chance of a pic of your setup?

The V8 is sat on original mounts (original V8 90 chassis) and with the viscus fan on there is only an inch or two between that and the rad. I'll put the viscus fan on this evening and take a pic. Think the fan is a 90 one rather than RR, it came with the 90. Are your leccy fans fitted infront or behind the rad? Any chance of a pic of your setup?

I front of the rad due to there only used when winching to keep her cool after running still for a long time.

Yes you only have 20-50mm gap but when the rad is clean its fine.

I looked at these but never ended up needing the dear oil coolers.

Guest diesel_jim

TIA chaps.

Same as Jules, on my old 3.9 EFI 90 i used a turboD radiator with the in-built cooler. the V8 cooler pipes are bang in the right place, i think i just had to change the unions in the radiator.