Well, I did it, I bought one .......

Sniffer

2000/V Freelander 5 door XEDI, Champagne (?) metallic, ice-cold A/C, HD, towbar (unused), 81k miles, 12mths MOT, 11mths tax, FSH (inc recent cambelt), £3k

Went to see it last week and armed with all the advice from guys on here I checked everthing suggested and all seems OK so picked up today. The seller fixed a few issues it had, namely replaced the rear door window regulator and repaired the dent in the drivers door.

It appears to have a few Freelander foibles, i.e. slight uneven tyre wear on rears and boot safe is a bit moist (advice here would be appreciated) but in all I'm as happy as I could be.

The only thing I failed on was the roof aerial which I did not notice was missing so the radio reception is affected, it has an aftermarket Sony CD player so can I just get a standard roof-aerial from Halford for £12 or does it need to be a LR original ?

Cheers all for your advice prior to my purchase, hopefully I have a good'un. ;)

2000/V Freelander 5 door XEDI, Champagne (?) metallic, ice-cold A/C, HD, towbar (unused), 81k miles, 12mths MOT, 11mths tax, FSH (inc recent cambelt), £3k

Went to see it last week and armed with all the advice from guys on here I checked everthing suggested and all seems OK so picked up today. The seller fixed a few issues it had, namely replaced the rear door window regulator and repaired the dent in the drivers door.

It appears to have a few Freelander foibles, i.e. slight uneven tyre wear on rears and boot safe is a bit moist (advice here would be appreciated) but in all I'm as happy as I could be.

The only thing I failed on was the roof aerial which I did not notice was missing so the radio reception is affected, it has an aftermarket Sony CD player so can I just get a standard roof-aerial from Halford for £12 or does it need to be a LR original ?

Can I ask if that was a private or trade sale?

The type of the aerials will not significantly influence the quality of the reception, but there is a mechanical issue.

Standard aerials may not fit to the hole in the roof. It is, however, easy to check and/or replace the aerial, all you need to do is open the courtesy light (above the front passenger seats), remove it and you will see the only screw which fix the aerial to the roof.

The aerial has a rubber "foot" which, if not fits perfectly to the roof, will let water in. If this happens, use some "red gasket" filling to have it sealed.

Aftermarket aerials will have probabily a different "foot".

So, if you have only the top part of the aerial missing (which screws to the fixed lowe part), note the size of this "screw" and look for an aerial which fits, so you can use the upper half only.

Viorel

Cheers Viorel

It was just the top 'whip' bit that was missing - I went to Halfords and asked the guys if I could try a couple of of them out first as I saw that the screw threads at the bottom were different sizes - first one was too big, second one was perfect -£11.99 jobs a good'un :D