TD5 Bulkhead onto 90

Gents,

My axles have been fully refurbed (woohoo!) and I am now ready to send the new TD5 bulkhead away for galving.

I know this has been raised before but just wanted to confirm what needed to be trimmed off.

The new bulkhead has a lip where the 90 doesn't where the tunnel cover goes.

So first off I will make a cardboard template of the old bulkhead and then trim the new one to suit.

Other than drilling a few extra holes to help ease the galving process can anyone else give me tips on what I may be missing or may need to trim?

Thanks.

Best regards

G

Make sure all your ancillary attachment holes are present and any additional access holes you may require for spanners/fingers, especially if you are not using Rivnuts in some of the holes. There might be a big 2-3inch hole for the "loom" in the footwell that you mght consider patching over too.

mmmmm.......

looks like I need to unwrap the old bulkhead from the side of the house and do a side by comparison.

It still has all the ancillaries attached and hence a bit heavy to do this, oh well if its worth doing........

Cheers

G

My mate rebuilt a 1989 110 (already converted to 300tdi) with a td5 bulkhead.

Went straight to the painters without comparing the two :rolleyes:

You need to sort out the bonnet release too, or convert to the TD5 type.

Comparing the two could well prevent some faffing later.

To be honest with you, your best bet would be to build up the nw TD5 bulkhead with all your ancils to check for fitment.

Problems I encountered was the top rail where the dash screws down is different, heater box fitment to front of b/head, Wiper motor mount is different and as you say the g/box tunnel.

For the time taken to build a new bulkhead it makes no sense not to. I wish I had done it when I did mine but time was against me so I just threw it all together and solved the probs as they arose.

I got mine galved as is and made any mods later when we fitted it. Being wide saddle this was not too bad.

TBH the only thing with hindsight I wish I'd done pre galv was remove the mesh from the vents. This got clogged with the galv and they only had to be rwmoved later but it could have been tidier.

First off, thanks for all your advice.

I had intended to to do a bit of multitasking by getting the bulkhead prepped and sent off for shotblasting/galving (a couple of weeks turnaround) and in the mean time set to work on rebuilding the 200TDi lump.

Now that I see that it will be better taking the time to do it right I will postpone the bulkhead for now and concentrate on rebuilding the engine first.

I am doing the build in a single garage (I do have another big shed but its only good for storing stuff) so I am doing things in a logical order for putting it all together so that nothing gets in the way before its ready to go on.

The axles were first up (took ages due to stripping, welding on new shock mounts, shotblasting etc tied in with work and family) next is the engine and then the bulkhead so that I can start to put everything together fairly quickly when I order the new chassis (is that going to be painfull on the wallet :o ).

Any other pointers to take in consideration will certainly be appreciated, once again thanks for your advice. :D

Cheers

G :)

holes for the Gbox tunnel to attach to after cutting the old lip off

wiper motor fitments

heater matrix mounting rivnut holes or access holes from the rear

fuel filter housing mounting

plates to cover holes in the passenger footwell

you will also need to remove some of the supports for the top part of the dash

consider changing to the single screen wash port if your running the two old separate ones.

Holes for lower dash mounting

think that was it from when i did mine.