Axle Drain Plug

Guest WALFY

I have a RRC rear axle fitted to my 90. It is the devils own job to get the big brass plug out the bottom to drain the oil. Is there an off the shelf plug that fits like a normal 1 and uses the ratchet head to undo. I was going to change the axle but bare tubes are hard to come by cheaply. :( . ie Free

Les

The RRC drain plug is a BIG brass plug with a slot in the face to undo with. And the base of the slot is curved as well. Like someone had a circular saw and just put a cut in the plug to open it up. The plug it self is a lot bigger than a normal one. I'll try and take a photo later when I go and fit my new diff

Les

Just trying to simplify things by finding a normal plug to fit. Mine was an absolute bugger to undo yeserday. So thought while it's out I'd source a sensible replacement

"It is the devils own job to get the big brass plug out the bottom to drain the oil."

The implication here is that it's been tightened with a 3 Weetabix grunt in an effort to stop it leaking.

Get some new copper washers, or brake cleaner and blue Hylomar, and use less grunt.

It depends on how badly the slot has been chewed, but either find an existing tool that fits well, to the base of the slot, or shape a piece of 12 to 15" length of steel to fit both the width and depth of the slot. About an inch away from the shaped end, bend the steel at right-angles, and you have a custom tool that will limit your ability to over tighten the plug.

HTH

"It is the devils own job to get the big brass plug out the bottom to drain the oil."

The implication here is that it's been tightened with a 3 Weetabix grunt in an effort to stop it leaking.

Get some new copper washers, or brake cleaner and blue Hylomar, and use less grunt.

It depends on how badly the slot has been chewed, but either find an existing tool that fits well, to the base of the slot, or shape a piece of 12 to 15" length of steel to fit both the width and depth of the slot. About an inch away from the shaped end, bend the steel at right-angles, and you have a custom tool that will limit your ability to over tighten the plug.

HTH

On mine I use the edge of a ordinary spanner. One side is angled so it has a curve that fits the slot and the width is perfect too.

Marc