2.5TD power loss in top gear

This has been posted in another forum, but Im not sure how many people read each one, so here goes...

Just paid over the odds for an old 110 2.5TD (1988) and spent too much getting it through the MOT, Now it's started miss firing at the higher end of the speed range. It seems to be fine through all the gears, even if i rev the nuts off it but as soon as i got above 50 it started to die, like taking you foot off the peddle. Once the revs dropped a bit it would pick up again but only until the speed got back up over 50. I've changed the fuel filter and it could be a little bit better (now seems to do it over 60), or it could just be my imagination! The lift pump was replace about twelve months (1000 miles) ago so i left that alone.

I don't know a lot about this engine, what sort of top end will it have anyway? is there any mileage in changing the glowplugs (do they deteriorate like spark plugs?) or injectors. Can i perform any tests to see if it is a fuel related problem as i suspect?

Can anybody help, the other half isn't very happy as i sold her shiny little Polo to buy myself this Landy!!

It sounds like a fuel problem to me, although you have replaced the filter, which I would have suggested. Check the fuel lines back to the tank, and then you could be looking at injectors or injector pump. Do you get any smoke on start-up? White/grey is bad timing (this usually clears as ther engine warms up). Top speed in a 90 with one of these engines in good condition is 78mph (that's the best I could get anyway). Your truck is quite a bit heavier, so I would imagine around 70 perhaps. Check your air filter - is there any oil in it?

Les.

This has been posted in another forum, but Im not sure how many people read each one, so here goes...

Just paid over the odds for an old 110 2.5TD (1988) and spent too much getting it through the MOT, Now it's started miss firing at the higher end of the speed range. It seems to be fine through all the gears, even if i rev the nuts off it but as soon as i got above 50 it started to die, like taking you foot off the peddle. Once the revs dropped a bit it would pick up again but only until the speed got back up over 50. I've changed the fuel filter and it could be a little bit better (now seems to do it over 60), or it could just be my imagination! The lift pump was replace about twelve months (1000 miles) ago so i left that alone.

I don't know a lot about this engine, what sort of top end will it have anyway? is there any mileage in changing the glowplugs (do they deteriorate like spark plugs?) or injectors. Can i perform any tests to see if it is a fuel related problem as i suspect?

Can anybody help, the other half isn't very happy as i sold her shiny little Polo to buy myself this Landy!!

Don't bother with glow plugs.

There are many things this could be but start with the cheapest ... Drain the fuel filter .. remove the lift pump again and pump with the lever. You should be able to hear the fuel rushing through the filter. If it sounds like a dribble or nothing then you have got your answer.

JimAttrill ... :lol: .. I'm learning :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:;)

I realised my mistake with the glowplug comment about an hour after i posted it, whilst reading the manual i've just bought. I do get white/grey smoke at start up but assumed that was just because it was a tired diesel! can the timing be checked easily, I'm a bit of a novice at the moment?

I've had a look inside the 2 inch (ish) pipe that goes from the turbocharger to the air cleaner and and there was certainly a black film which looked like oil (is this the same area as the air filter Les? I'll read the manual again later tonight!). I had it off at the turbo end to refit the jubilee clip. I've also noticed that the pipe from the snorkal to the air cleaner box is no longer round in places, the metal rings seem to have fatigued and snapped. Is it worth changing this? Can you get one from any Land Rover parts dealer?

I looked at the Air element condition indicator, but as i don't know what a good or bad indication looks like, don't know what to make of it.

I'll try draining the filter again and have a listen as i pump. One thing to point out is that i had the centre cross member replaced a week ago so could the pipeline be damaged? is it metal or plastic/rubber?

I'll probably not get a chance to look at this until next Saturday, but I'll let you know how i get on.

Thanks for your advice so far.

May be worth watching where this goes as it sounds slightly similar, just obviously different engine.

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopi...rt=#entry234890

Hi I had the same fault on a tdi just two weeks ago and the fuel stop solinoide wire had a bad conection and I just cut it off and put a new terninal on and problem solved.

Can anyone tell me the fuel shut-off valve (is that the same as the solanoid?) is on my 2.5TD??

Can anyone tell me the fuel shut-off valve (is that the same as the solanoid?) is on my 2.5TD??

will be the only electrical wire going to the back of the injection pump, which is on the RH side of the engine, behind the timing case

• 1 month later...