Axle set up

wkw90

Guest diesel_jim

Thats a pretty old axle then... the first rangies had them. not sure when they changed over, but presumably LR thought that "both facing the same direction" was better.

If it's on a RRC then it was that way for high speed stability. If it's on a 90 then I have the same axle. 1 mount was cut off and welded on so that they both face forward. No problem with it on my vehicle. Not sure if it is possible to mount it with shocks facing opposite directions, but at the end of the day nothing is impossible.

If it's on a RRC then it was that way for high speed stability. If it's on a 90 then I have the same axle. 1 mount was cut off and welded on so that they both face forward. No problem with it on my vehicle. Not sure if it is possible to mount it with shocks facing opposite directions, but at the end of the day nothing is impossible.
Its on a 90 mounted with the shocks facing opposite directions at the moment , but while its apart i have the chance to change it just want to know if its worth the effort or not .

If it drives OK, then I would leave it as it is. If you don't get it welded on perfectly straight you'll end up with problems with the bushes not sitting square and wearing out quickly.

With the arc of the suspension travel, having one shock behind the axle may limit droop travel as the axle is moving forwards as it drops. The effect would be minimal I would guess though.

I presume that LR determined that the benefit of having opposed shocks was outweighed by having to provide different mountings at chassis and axle (I am guessing that they are different BTW) as the volume of RR's (and then Defenders etc) being built increased.