Tyre sizes

I bet you thought this would be what do all the numbers refer to? Wrong! I asked that a couple of months ago.

My 235 85 R16's on a tyre calculator indicate a diameter of 80.59cm and circumference of 253.18cm. Are the sizes based on a new tyre and includes the tread or are they the carcass size and any tread would add extra diameter & circumference or other?

Additionally does anyone know what tread depth new BFG All terrain 235 85 R16's would have.

Thanks

MINESAPINT

Again like Lars said the sizes are based on an industry norm, but the

actual dimensions of a tyre in the same size can vary from manufacturer

to manufacturer.

Also the sizes will be for an unladen tyre, ie not fitted to the vehicle.

Especially remooulds can be physically a lot larger for a given dimension

than a new tyre.

Thanks Lars & GRover.

I am sure there must be a standard and at this stage I am guessing it is something to do with the carcass. Guessing again: That is why remoulds end up oversize because more rubber has to be added (to a particular size of carcass to make it durable enough). Hence it is oversize.

Please note I don't mind if I am talking B*((*$ks I happen to have an enquiring mind and hope someone will be able to quote chapter & verse.

Thanks

MINESAPINT