engine spluttering

series 3

Hi all, the response to my clutch problem was so brilliant I thought Id go right ahead and give you all another conundrum to solve ;) .

My series is running a 2.25 litre diesel engine, It starts no problem but when its left to idle it seems to have a timing problem. To give you an example of what happens it goes like this

normal idle (3 seconds), then the engine appears to nearly stop (rumbles heavily), then a biggish plume of white smoke shoots from the exhaust, then it returns to normal idle for about 3 seconds :unsure: . The engine can do this almost indefinetly as I left it running to see if it was just because it hadnt been started in ages. Ive already adjusted the idle screw and this seems to have no affect except speed up the amount of times this happens per minute (higher revs).

Any ideas or solutions would be much valued.

Hi all, the response to my clutch problem was so brilliant I thought Id go right ahead and give you all another conundrum to solve ;) .

My series is running a 2.25 litre diesel engine, It starts no problem but when its left to idle it seems to have a timing problem. To give you an example of what happens it goes like this

normal idle (3 seconds), then the engine appears to nearly stop (rumbles heavily), then a biggish plume of white smoke shoots from the exhaust, then it returns to normal idle for about 3 seconds :unsure: . The engine can do this almost indefinetly as I left it running to see if it was just because it hadnt been started in ages. Ive already adjusted the idle screw and this seems to have no affect except speed up the amount of times this happens per minute (higher revs).

Have you tried a fuel filter? is there any visible leaks that air could be getting into?does it sound like it goes off a cylinder? if you crack off the injector pipes in turn does it affect it more on one injector than another ( be careful to keep your hands well away the fuel is at a very high pressure)

A very common problem and is caused by wear in the components that drive the injection pump. Causing timing to drift.

This is why they used a belt instead on the 2.5. Some people say it helps to replace the front chain/gears, other say its impossible to get rid of, that even new engines are like this..

Have you tried a fuel filter? is there any visible leaks that air could be getting into?does it sound like it goes off a cylinder? if you crack off the injector pipes in turn does it affect it more on one injector than another ( be careful to keep your hands well away the fuel is at a very high pressure)

It definetly sounds like its off a cylinder, how would you go about testing the injectors? Would you remove them and turn over the engine to test if the fuel is coming out. What do you mean when you say crack off the injector pipes? Where would I look for air getting into, the injector pump? I know thats alot of questions but this is the first desiel engine ive had to fix (my daily drive is a capri) so petrols realy my thing.

A very common problem and is caused by wear in the components that drive the injection pump. Causing timing to drift.

This is why they used a belt instead on the 2.5. Some people say it helps to replace the front chain/gears, other say its impossible to get rid of, that even new engines are like this..

Could I not just replace the injector pump and timing gears. Or would it be a major overhaul of entire fueling system?

Wish I could answer that as I have exact the same problem with my motor. I don't think there is anything wrong with the injector pump itself.

But it's driven by the relatively small gears at the cam and oil pump shaft. A small gap here will cause a significant change in timing.

I plan to replace the front gears and chain. If this doesn't give a significant improvement I'll go for a 2.5NA...

Wish I could answer that as I have exact the same problem with my motor. I don't think there is anything wrong with the injector pump itself.

But it's driven by the relatively small gears at the cam and oil pump shaft. A small gap here will cause a significant change in timing.

I plan to replace the front gears and chain. If this doesn't give a significant improvement I'll go for a 2.5NA...

If you could tell me how you got on with changing the gears and if it fixes (or atleast partly solves) the problem I would be grateful. Im not realy in any rush to get the landy on the road and Id rather fix this first rather than risk knackering the engine.

If you don't have a piece of clear tubing right before the IP, I'd put one in, so you can see if there is air in the line. Ever had your injectors checked?

Look towards the Injection pump timing would be my guess

Look towards the Injection pump timing would be my guess

As your vehicle has not been used for a long time

1) is it old fuel?[possibly contaminated with water]

2) have you checked/drained water from fuel filter ?

3) have you bled the fuel pump?

4) if all these ok try adjusting timing of pump , mark where it is at present then rotate slightly each way to see if it improves.

Previous post suggested cracking lines to injector what was meant was loosen the fuel pipe union so that injector is not getting supplied if problem gets worse then that injector is working.If you do this to all four [one at a time] then this eliminates injectors.