FREELANDER DUMPS MASSES OF OIL ON FLOOR

mickeyw

Hi,

I'm off going to have a look at a friends 2003 Freelander td4 as soon as I finish work. Apparently since getting to work this morning it's dumped a mass of oil of the floor, seemingly from the engine, this was verified by checking dipstick which shows low oil level. I'm told the stick is pushed all the way home and the oil filler cap is secure but it looks like the oil has come from somewhere near the filler though. Has anyone heard of this before and what component could have given up to cause this degree of sudden oil loss?

Cheers

Michael

its not to do with the stupid plastic filter thing is it.

other wise the sumps are very brittle and easy to smash <_<

What the stupid plastic filter thing you refer to Jules? Is it a breather, and where abouts on the engine?

The oil appears to have come from around the dipstick area and obliterated the entire engine bay. It took 5 litres of blood to get the stick back to the correct level. My guess is there's a breather somewhere that's got clogged and it's blown the stick up. A bit hard to find such things without yanking of all the plastic carp covering the engine. Time to look for Freebie manual online, anyone know of any?

Cheers

Michael

There is a plastic filter housing (well my Dakar) had a plastic housing which I was always paranoid of snapping off every time I changed the oil.

Google the rave CD I would expect you could down load if for free off the web somewhere

There is a plastic filter housing (well my Dakar) had a plastic housing which I was always paranoid of snapping off every time I changed the oil.

Google the rave CD I would expect you could down load if for free off the web somewhere

Get it off Fleabay for £2

Sounds like the cyclone filter, (crankcase breather filter in plain english). It gets blocked over time and blows the oil/pressure out the dipstick or filler and can sometimes destroy the engine. Easy enough to replace, its on the rocker cover just in front of the air filter housing, you have to take the top cover and air filter housing top off to gain access. Undo the injector wiring (torx bolts) and is held in with allen head bolts.