Fitting steering guard (First Four)

My three piece First Four steering guard arrived today - superb service. No instructions but looks simple thought I!!

Worked out the vertical bits go on the inside of the chassis rail. The near side fitted fine and other than two additional 120mm bolts in the kit would have been handy not a problem.

On the drivers side however there seems to be a major part of the steering assembly bolted into the chassis where the rear eye of the off side vertical bit needs to go. After some thought I removed the nut which is a 19mm ratchet spanner job. I thought I would fit the back eye over the bolt and then stick the nut back on but when I try to fit it is too tight. From what I can recall a 19mm nut means an M12 bolt so 12mm diameter. I put my callipers on the hole in the guard and it is about 11.9mm or so :(

I do not want to risk damaging the thread so have fitted the steering assembly nut back on tight and now taking stock.

Presumably I need to get it to a metal worker who can ream a 12.5mm bit through the 10mm steel plate. My drills only go to 10mm so no good. If I do this I will remove the galvanising so what should I re-touch the hole up with before I fit it?

I take it I am on the right track (First Four seem to have a Friday afternoon off since I have tried calling them) but if not any suggestions would be really appreciated.

Thanks Malcy

Well I reckoned in for a penny, in for a pound and they had the course running so ...

Got a borrow of a radio this week for listening and was picking up eastern europe which was quite fun - just from a wire trailed round the garage. Part of the thing is I am not sure what I want to do. Think HF sounds more interesting than VHF and quite keen to rig up in The Beastie but not sure what kit to get yet. A agree some on air time would be good. VHF cheaper to get into but I am told there is not much VHF traffic up here.

Are you using VHF or HF?