Repair or replace...

Decided to make a start refurbing a pair of disco axles i bought for my 90 build. Unfortunately they have been stored outside in the elements, and upon getting all the carp off them i discovered real bad corrosion. I believe the corrosion is where the bump-stops will go - just behind the rollbar mounting point. The corrosion is bad enough that after a quick clean it has gone into a hole.

Is it worth my while going ahead and getting them blasted to see what they will be like or should i bin them when there this bad?

I seem to remember a shop on ebay selling new casings a few months back but i cant find them now - typical...Whats your opinions guys.. :(

You need to have a careful check over the rest of the axles. They tend to rust where mud collects where a bracket joins the case. Some muds are quite acidic, plus can hold winter road salt in these spots, so can rust. The good news is that the casings are quite thick here so easy to weld up the hole and make good. However the other place they go rusty is the diff pan. The metal is quite thin here, so if these are rusty and pitted, pin holes can develop easily. Diff pans are available for welding in, but if these are rusty, it may be more straightforward to find replacement axle cases.

Regards,

Diff

thanks for the reply Diff. the whole area where the hole is appears very thin. Im afraid that when i have them blasted, the complete area will disappear.

Where can i get replacement cases. ive looked at craddocks and paddocks but they dont seem to list the casings..

thanks for that. just sent him a message. at least that would be one out of two sorted...

Hi, if you dont get sorted with above try www.lrseries.com they list new, recon and used just case or complete axle (you have to phone for used by the looks of it).

Hope this helps.? James.com

I took off a perfectly healthy drum break axle and replaced it with a disco axle (to get the disks) and found after the first drive that it was leaking diff oil from the top of the diff pan at the point where it joins the casing. I was most displeased.

After thinking about welding it (was going to be hard to weld such a large area air tight) I went for a metal bonding compound. I put it all over the area, moulded it down hard and let it dry. Painted it over and its been on there for almost a year including about 5000 miles(2000 non stop accross europe) some serious off roading, trailer towing and no problems..

In fact, the other day somthing happend to the axle breather and it got pulled onto somthing hot and melted sealing it tight. The axle started to leak oil throug the front oil seal (where the prop goes into the axle) and not out of the repaired section. I'm happy that the repair will out last the axle and will leave it as it is :)