Is there a good Freelander?

Matt B

Hello

I'm looking for a smaller daily with better fuel economy than my 300TDi Disco.

Freelanders seem to take a pasting from everybody but I wonder if this is snobbery.

Could anybody advise me of models to look at or indeed avoid?

As always any advise is appreciated.

Matt

Despite a few problems (related to neglect by previous owner) I still like mine, and would still recommend the 1.8 petrol as they're so cheap what with nobody wanting to touch them with a bargepole :P as long as you know you'll need to do the head gasket (preferably before it fails) it's fine. If you're not bothered about going off-road then a dead VCU means you just drop the rear prop and live with FWD.

Apart from that - it's comfy, quiet, gets decent MPG, handles well, is nippy, there's enough space in the engine bay to work on it and parts are cheap and easily available. Oh and it's a soft-top. B)

Despite a few problems (related to neglect by previous owner) I still like mine, and would still recommend the 1.8 petrol as they're so cheap what with nobody wanting to touch them with a bargepole :P as long as you know you'll need to do the head gasket (preferably before it fails) it's fine. If you're not bothered about going off-road then a dead VCU means you just drop the rear prop and live with FWD.

Apart from that - it's comfy, quiet, gets decent MPG, handles well, is nippy, there's enough space in the engine bay to work on it and parts are cheap and easily available. Oh and it's a soft-top. B)

That sounds reassuring. There is a 1.8 local to me which is LPG for sale - it had a new engine recently so should have a good head gasket?

Does VCU mean Viscous Coupling? if so how frequently do they go O/S and are they difficult / expensive to replace?

Thanks

If the engine is new and has the uprated bits (difficult to tell but they may have a receipt from the supplier - depends who did the work) then it should be good, the key is to keep an eye on it and if the temperature goes up, stop driving! Check the LPG install closely, many LPG installers are strangers to wiring - tell tales are sparky tape and scotchloks.

VCU is the Viscous coupling, it's inline with the prop and I think it basically unbolts as one, since they're biased to run in FWD 99% of the time anyway removing it shouldn't change the driving experience too much.

I wouldn't personally go for anything except a TD4, I have had three freelanders, one was a 1.8 which blew it's gasket and wore out it's rear tyres quickly and the others were TD4s which have been fine. When BMW owned landrover (that's when the BMW engines went in) they sorted out quite a few problems.

Cheers Dennis

PS if you really want to be scared have a look at what's happening in the US with petrol engine variants.

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.eea90db?displayRecent

Touch wood my 1.8 petrol is still running fine after 9 days of ownership. All electrics work well and only compaint I have is that it does seem very heavy on petrol comapared to my 1.4 rover which ive been using for the last 4 yrs.

Time will tell if I keep it or go back to my old faithful which is resting in my drive.

Most second hand freelanders over 50,000 miles will probably have had the head gasket done already and if you can get a receipt for this and a new cambelt change your laughing.

Think the cambelt change isnt too dificult for the average diy enthusiast anyway.

Out TD4 auto is great to drive, but drinks diesel at circa 28mpg if you are lucky. In comparison to the previous 200tdi discovery its excellent on road and motorways, towed the caravan better and is a much more civilised beast. However, no comparison off road!

We bought at 78,000 miles, now done 92,000 miles. Had to do the fuel pump and front discs - drives excellent (you would not know it had done the miles).

VCU is the Viscous coupling, it's inline with the prop and I think it basically unbolts as one, since they're biased to run in FWD 99% of the time anyway removing it shouldn't change the driving experience too much.

Be careful of running the Freelander as a 2WD, unless you tell your insurer that you have modified the vehicle you are wide open to having your insurer withdraw cover in the event of an accident.

OK thanks for all the input.

Next question: If I were to geta diesel will any of them have trouble stomaching Biofuel?

[/quote

As youve probably gathered by now, ther is a lot of "Anti" 1.8 Petrol people out there. Tis true indeed there is no gettin away from the HG problem with this engine, but as you have been advised if you are prepared for this, there is a lot to be said for considering one. Iwas aware of this when buying my petrol Freelander and subsequently replaced the HG with the new type gasket kit, and have enjoyed relatively trouble free motoring since covering 10 000 miles, and not easy miles,as i tow a horse trailer regularly. One of the important factors for me was that i was able to pick mine up for a song, due to the bad press this engine receives, which easily covered the cost of the HG. So dont just dismiss the petrol, i am pleased with mine

its good to hear people can see through the bad press and take advantage of a bargain.

My little freelander racer was a 1.8 and I couldn't fault it yes it had a PTP head which gave it 140 bhp and racing HG but it still completed and won its class in three championship seasons.

the new owner says despite the mickey take from all his mates replacing his 3.9 Tomcat with the freelander racer was the best thing he has ever done and should have built one years ago. and that's saying something