245/75/R16

neilwilson

Hi,

Looking at fitting 245/75/R16 so my D1 300TDi to get a small height increase. It is not lifted and I want to keep it that way.

I was looking at Cooper STT but one supplier reckons they will still rub on the shocks ?

Would extended bumpstops prevent that ?

Thanks.

Neil

Can't see how it would rub on the shocks :blink:

I had this size in BFG on my 1996 D1 for a while and found I needed to trim the rear of the rear arches a little, as it rubbed there, and it touched somewhere at the front but never found out where so it didn't bother me! Fitted on Freestyle alloys, different wheels with different offsets might not be the same.

Rub on the shocks? Can't see how that would happen.

I had that size tyre on my old D1 for over five years (BFG Trac Edge) and never had any problems. I did have to trim a small amount off of the rear wheel arches - not a full Camel cut, but a bit off the lip on the bottom edge - and adjust the steering stops very slightly. This was on standard height (HD rear) suspension.

Personally, I think that size is an excellent compromise for a D1, particularly if you don't want to lift the suspension.

Thanks for the replies.

I am trying to picture how it would be under full articulation, I know about the rear arch snip but still can't really see what he was on about, however he was insistent that as the STT are an "aggressive" tyre pattern they would catch.

Cooper STT or BFG MT, Cooper ST or BFG AT...

I still can't decide !

Neil

I'm painting up a set of Disco steels in order to fit a set of 245/75 r16's to my 300Tdi disco...

i've looked at all the different options and think i've settled on Kumho KL71s...

I've found them for £77 each...

What are general AT2's like? i've seen them for £80... are they fairly hardwearing?

if you've found other A/T or mild M/T patterns at a good price, do you mind posting up the details?

Are they going to be your only set of tyres?

If so, do you do a lot of road miles?

I've got a set of Insa turbo Sahara tyres i use in the mud, so this set of tyres is going to be for gentle laning, overlanding (we're going down to the Pyrenese in the summer) and some commuting... :rolleyes:

I was pretty set on the Kumhos (mostly 'cos they look very cool) but am swaying towards the AT2s because maybe the KL71s are a bit agresive for treking down to Spain... :unsure:

The other tyres i liked were Cooper Discoverer STs, slightly more agresive than your average A/T

I guess what I really need is about 6 sets of tyres ranging from a racing slick to a dumper tyre :rolleyes:

I've fitted my 110 with Insa Turbo Rangers, which are basically a BFG AT copy, and they seem very good so far. I'm also planning a jaunt down to Spain later in the year and these are my only tyres so they'll be the ones I go on :)

IMHO you can't go wrong with the KL71s. I'm at nearly 40,000 kms on mine (mainly highway) and wouldn't have any other tyre. Refer elsewhere for my appallingly gushing thread on the topic :wub: Best tyres, and very liveable day to day with excellent on-road handling, grip, etc, etc. Quite impressive wear, too (esp given the awesome traction). I have friends changing their near-new BFG ATs for KL71s after experiencing mine...

Caveat:- They're only a 2-ply sidewall.

If you need an armour-plated tyre, get MTRs (expensive but good all-rounders), or STTs (expensive and poor on-road).

Oooooh, time for a cold-flannel and a lie-down now :P

thats interesting Clax, I'm looking for a second set of tyres mainly for overlanding/ touring... the wear rate is important... how worn are yours after 40,000Kms?

I've got Kumho tyres on at the moment, and they have lasted really well... 30,000 miles inc a trip to the Sahara....

Hi Freeagent,

I'd have to measure them up to be accurate, but I'd estimate the front's have lost a bit under a third (say 9-10mm left) and the rears a quarter of their tread (say 11mm ish left). The rears are wearing quite square with only minimal tapering of the outer blocks (lugs), the fronts have about 1-2mm of taper across the lugs. Centre strips perfect on all. I haven't rotated them at all, and the front wheel alignment was dodgy for quite a while (knackered tie rod ends) which caused the worst of the uneven wear.

The majority of my usage is highway, which somewhat explains the good wear.... the fact that I corner it like it's an MX5 and regularly pick up an inside front... doesn't :P I still can't believe the wear given the tenacious grip they provide. If they wore out in 20,000kms, I'd get 'em again. The fact that I'll get 80,000kms+ out of them is just a bonus. Note that I'll replace them at about 2/3 worn. Below that and they will have lost their edge in the mud, which is my favourite plaything.

The other thing I found was that they really respond well to being pumped up on-road. I run mine at around 42-44psi all round for highway use, and air them down to something sensible off-road. Running them much under that and they start to chew the outer edges and get a bit noisy at highway speeds. Aids the road-holding, too.

Starting to get a bit buzzy on the highway now, but still barely worse than worn BFG ATs for noise.

Hi Freeagent,

I'd have to measure them up to be accurate, but I'd estimate the front's have lost a bit under a third (say 9-10mm left) and the rears a quarter of their tread (say 11mm ish left). The rears are wearing quite square with only minimal tapering of the outer blocks (lugs), the fronts have about 1-2mm of taper across the lugs. Centre strips perfect on all. I haven't rotated them at all, and the front wheel alignment was dodgy for quite a while (knackered tie rod ends) which caused the worst of the uneven wear.

The majority of my usage is highway, which somewhat explains the good wear.... the fact that I corner it like it's an MX5 and regularly pick up an inside front... doesn't :P I still can't believe the wear given the tenacious grip they provide. If they wore out in 20,000kms, I'd get 'em again. The fact that I'll get 80,000kms+ out of them is just a bonus. Note that I'll replace them at about 2/3 worn. Below that and they will have lost their edge in the mud, which is my favourite plaything.

The other thing I found was that they really respond well to being pumped up on-road. I run mine at around 42-44psi all round for highway use, and air them down to something sensible off-road. Running them much under that and they start to chew the outer edges and get a bit noisy at highway speeds. Aids the road-holding, too.

Starting to get a bit buzzy on the highway now, but still barely worse than worn BFG ATs for noise.

Hi there, I've just had a look at these tyres on the Kumho website and my first reaction was that I am amazed that you can use these as an every day tarmac road tyre !!!

They look sooooh much of a mud tyre I assumed (by the sound of it wrongly!!) that they would be carp on-road with poor wet weather grip and that they would wear out very quickly.

I'm not saying you are wrong - I hope you accept that, its just that I'm really surprised at your positive comments for these tyres used on-road.

Any more assurances, would be welcomed.

Hi there, I've just had a look at these tyres on the Kumho website and my first reaction was that I am amazed that you can use these as an every day tarmac road tyre !!!

They look sooooh much of a mud tyre I assumed (by the sound of it wrongly!!) that they would be carp on-road with poor wet weather grip and that they would wear out very quickly.

I'm not saying you are wrong - I hope you accept that, its just that I'm really surprised at your positive comments for these tyres used on-road.

Any more assurances, would be welcomed.

I have 31 x 10.5 x 15" KL71's on my daily driver Disco and am very impressed with them also. Both on and off road. Grip well in the wet or dry on road and great in mud or on rocks when green laning. Seem to be wearing reasonably although I don't have specific milage versus wear figures.

Pete.