cooling system layout

been trying to sort out my hybrid isuzu/land rover cooling system by making it a bit more land rover. it currently runs a 2.5 n/a diesel radiator and an isuzu expansion bottle, venting through a 1/2" bsp pressure fitting on top of the radiator.

i decided i should go with a land rover expansion tank and normal pressure cap in the bottle, so i bought a nice 300tdi bottle to solve all my problems. Of course my move to simplify things made them much more complicated. on the 300tdi tank there are two connections, 1 higher up one (with which i was supplied the bit of hose) which i presume goes to the radiator and one at the bottom, which looking at pictures of 300tdi engines seems to hook up to the bottom rad hose. on the n/a deisel radiator there are two connectoins for the expansion bottle at tthe top of the radiator. i can't remember how it was plumbed in when i had the n/a 2.5 in and now am thoroughly bamboozled as to how i should attach this tank to the my radiator/cooling system.

i'm not really sure what the aim of the plumbing ought to be, has anyone come across diagrams for land rover cooling systems which might let me know what i am trying to achieve. I'm also open to suggestoins as to what i should be trying to connect to what.

the system i have at the moment works, but i seem to be losing water so wanted to make it a more simple set up. i did not bear in mind/remember that a land rover set up was maybe not so simple.

thanks

callum

300Tdi cooling system flow & pipe diagram below :D

thanks for that ralph, you're a star...and the bearer of bad news, that's immensely complicated. i had just assumed the 300tdi tank was a plastic version of the earlier brass tank. but then you know what the say about assumption. i don't suppose a similar diagram exists for the 200 tdi? i'm hoping that i might be bale to use teh plastic tank i have to do the same job as the metal tank, or maybe some sort of combination of the two.

is that diagram from the workshop manual? i shall go have alook through my workshop manuals to see if it is there.

thanks again

callum

EDIT: jsut found a diagram in my 200tdi retro-fit manual. 200tdi verion it seems has the plastic tank, but a more simple set up. now to see if i can find the td/ normally aspirated diesel set up to see what i began with.

I used to have a n/a set up and have upgraded to tdi, but still have original brass expansion tank - memory might be playing tricks on me but I thought the larger diameter hose teed into the water pump bottom hose, and the smaller diameter hose fed into the rad, top left? Anyway, that's how it's set up now.

I have the retro-fit booklet cooling system flow diagram for the 200Tdi, as that what my engine was, but mine was a TD with the brass tank I changed it years ago for the black rectangular plastic tank, these photo's might help.

2 hoses on bottom of tank smallest bore goes to the radiator tank at top right [vehicles right] , larger bore to rear of strut goes to the bottom radiator hose which is connected to rad & water pump.

the overhead view of my engine bay shows where the hoses fit.

post-20-1205437978_thumb.jpg

post-20-1205438174_thumb.jpg

thanks for your help folks, i think have helped me sort it out now. shall blank off the mystery extra hole at the top of the rad and plumb it in as per 200tdi retrofit. hopefully that will do the trick.

cheers

callum

Brilliant, I now know where to route the piping for my 300tdi install...

When it says the 300tdi uses a Pressurised Coolant system, I may be being a bit dim here (normal for me) but isn't 90% of coolant systems pressurised? If not all of them.

As in, isn't my current, 2.5n/a Diesel pressurised, can I just swap where the pipes go so it corresponds to the 300tdi, or will it need the correct expansion tank?

I have the Brass tank at the moment, with the return from the Radiator at the front top corner of the tank, but the 300tdi has it's return on the base of the tank.

Cheers

Matt

all vehicle cooling systems are pressurised to around 15psi it increases the coolant boiling point.

doing what you've said should work, my old engine was a TD with the metal tank & was connected as yours is now, I swapped to the plastic tank & everything has been fine since it was fitted.