no 5th and reverse

davec

davec, can you describe the problem a little bit better? or maybe you can answer some questions:

- does the lever move to the right enough to be able to engage 5th and reverse (does it have enough travel)?

- from a stand still, engine running an clutch depressed, can you stick it in 5th? how about reverse?

- same as above but with the engine stopped, can you engage the 2 gears?

- if you can engage reverse with the engine stopped, keep the clutch pedal down and start the engine, can you reverse the vehicle?

- if you somehow are able to engage reverse or the lever moves like it's engaging reverse, do you hear a click when you bring the lever back to neutral?

How many miles/km does your Disco have?

I have a Disco 1 which had a problem engaging reverse, the disco 1 has the reverse on the far left.

I also noticed the gear stick was very floppy, and would not return to the central position when I let go of it. The gear lever is held in the central position by a spring which is held in place by an 'L' shaped bracket, which had snapped and was lodged between the gear stick and the case preventing the gear lever from being pushed over to the far left. As you will need to remove the gear stick central counsel to remove the gearbox, I suggest you do this first and check to ensure the small 'L' shaped bracket is not broken and jamming the gear leaver.

I have a Disco 1 which had a problem engaging reverse, the disco 1 has the reverse on the far left.

I also noticed the gear stick was very floppy, and would not return to the central position when I let go of it. The gear lever is held in the central position by a spring which is held in place by an 'L' shaped bracket, which had snapped and was lodged between the gear stick and the case preventing the gear lever from being pushed over to the far left. As you will need to remove the gear stick central counsel to remove the gearbox, I suggest you do this first and check to ensure the small 'L' shaped bracket is not broken and jamming the gear leaver.

Always worth checking but the 300tdi has the r380 with reverse on the right and down