custom exhausts?

Tractorboy16

Hi, iv got to the exhaust stage on my hybrid and im just thinking what to do,

i don't want a usual 90 exhaust as i want something to sound a little more throaty so am looking at what i can fit.

I have a 2.8td isuzu engine in the hybrid and have manage to get a front down pipe pretty much the same as the 90 one so that it stops just at the rear of the gearbox,

It what i do from here that im not to sure, just need some advice on what people would think would be best or ideas as to what you have done or if there is something major i have over looked which shall mean i cann't do one of these.

Get a defender mid silencer box and just use that and then have the exhaust exit infront of the rear wheel, passenger side,

get one of these new stainless mid straight throughs which paddocks are now selling and then have exit in same place,

have two silencers like usual and hae exit on rear corner,

get the gwyn lewis exitexhaust,

any ideas greatly recieved, i most like the idea of the new paddocks silences ar £42.50 ex VAT and then just comming out the side,

Iv got to have the vehice SVA's in the near future as well which is a major concern, emissions shall be tested at 1991 levels though as now have proof of engine age.

Any help much appreciated.

James

You could do what the cobra boys do- fit an open non baffled "silencer" and pack it with wire wool and chicken wire, pass SVA and then take it all out again.

IIRC its 101db at 1.5m- sure someone will know for definite though

You could do what the cobra boys do- fit an open non baffled "silencer" and pack it with wire wool and chicken wire, pass SVA and then take it all out again.

IIRC its 101db at 1.5m- sure someone will know for definite though

That's quite high actually. Personally I'd just get hold of a small straight through silencer and make it on a short removable pipe as that will make a BIG differance. Mine was tiny and it made a mild thrum up hills and on full throttle. Here's a photo:

DSC01271.jpg

It was a 'cherry bomb' - the smallest they would make - purchaced from the local chav shop for about £35.

:lol: Yeah that sounds about right ;) As long as a diesel has a turbo, a straight through exhaust isn't very loud.

Also once you have decided what exhaust system you would like, I would highly recommend that the place to go would be A14 exhausts is bury st edmunds. They will do it exactly how you want it, out of 2mm thick stainless, lifetime warranty, and very, very well priced. Anything you want they can do it ;)

:lol: Yeah that sounds about right ;) As long as a diesel has a turbo, a straight through exhaust isn't very loud.

Also once you have decided what exhaust system you would like, I would highly recommend that the place to go would be A14 exhausts is bury st edmunds. They will do it exactly how you want it, out of 2mm thick stainless, lifetime warranty, and very, very well priced. Anything you want they can do it ;)

TBH I'm going to build the system on mine as it's just a straight through pipe with a few bends so it isn't a terrible job and as long as you can weld it will save you a lot of money if you do your own exhaust on the turbo diesel. However, if you want something really nice then I'd reccomend the guys that made the manifold for my Lotus - Exhausts by Design in Buckingham. The work's beautiful (nice bends, nice welds with little intrusion into the pipework, braced to help prevent fractures) but you want to be sitting down when they give you the bill......

May have changed, it was 1999, when i did a lotus 7 for sva, but IIRC it was 101db at a constant 300rpm at 1.5m from exhaust!!

On the day that it was tested the sva mans rpm gauge( used for independant qualification, you know!!) played up, we gunned the 7 to redline and it still never exceeded the 101db level, made the sva man smile though!

My 7 passed, all that has is a straight through 2" silencer straight off the manifold

Mine passed the SVA test with a single cherry bomb fitted similar to Wills ;)

Out of interest, how close was yours to the limit? I never measured mine but it was pretty quiet. I wonder whether you'd just get through without a box at all.....