95 4.0 SE shut off while at a light and now it does not sart help!

ranger40

Okay heres the problem,I was going to the post office and while waiting at a light,my 1995 range rover 4.0se shut off, I then put it in park and tried to turn it on like normal and the starter tried to crank the engine over,but nothing,i tried again and nothing,the third time i tried, nothing happened,the starter didnt even crank or anything,i checked my battery and it is good because my :

Lights and radio work great, because i turned on my lights then tried to turn on the engine and the lights did not fade.

So now im stumped because if the engine was running it couldnt be the starter because the starter is only used for starting right?

Other than that i think it might be the alternator,but if it is the alternator should it have killed the battery before the alternator went out?

Could it be the fuel pump? if so what are some of the sysmptom checks i could do to determine that?

Hopefully someone more familiar with the later Rangie will be along to offer some tips as I have a classic model with completely differant engine management system.

In the mean time - The fact that it stopped un-expectadly and wont turn over implies an electrical fault.

If the lights dont dim this may be because the starter motor relay isnt switching to connect the starter to the battery and therefore not drawing any current.

If the engine was running o.k. then suddenly stalled then it is unlikley to be the starter relay, or the starter motor.

If the starter circuit is dead then it may e due to an electrical fualt elsewhere preventing the car from starting:

I seem to recall the 'crankshaft position' sensor is a very common failure as it feeds the engine management system with engine RPM and if its faulty the engine cannot/will not run.

A common factor here could be engine earth.

As well as looking at the engine earth cables (there should be more than one) try connecting the engine direct to the negative terminal on the battery with a jump lead cable and see if that helps.

Steve

ETA You may want to fill in your profile with a location etc. You never know, someone helpful on here may only live round the corner.

Damn, bet it will be me!!

i cheked my battery with a voltmeter and it read 12.1 at the terminals with nothing on,could the batter be draged lower when i try to start down to like 11 volts and not even let me crank a little?

If it is the crank position sensor,where exactly is it located on my 95 range rover se?on the block?

I had starting probs with my 4.6 p38. Thanks to fridgefreezer on this forum i changed the crank position sensor for around £30 and away she went. it is located underneath the engine on the right hand side, viewed from the front of the car at the back facing towards the rear.Hope all that makes sense?. it takes about 5minutes to do and as FF sugestedto me its the obvious place to start.

hope all goes well MIKE

Surely if she stopped suddeny but would crank (initially) you have to suspect fuel supply?

Can you check to see if the pump runs when you turn the ignition on( before cranking the engine) ? You might be able to hear it if you listen carefully :blink: .

The crank sensor may well be the fault, but try eliminating things without spending money first!!! :lol:

Start by trying again with a fully charged battery. That your lights and radio work is no indication that your battery is good. Check that none of the wires have come away from the starter. Check that block earths are good. Try the jump lead from battery neg to engine block to see if that makes any difference.

If that produces no result get a proper diagnostic done. Changing bits at random MIGHT find the fault, but usually works out very expensive.

Very true Paintman, last week the Disco had to have a new battery. It would run both radio and warning lights without dimming but obviously a cell had gone as it would only chatter the solenoid.

As a point of interest, I don't use the specified battery for the tdi, preferring the extra amps from a 334 (which is used on 2.8 Paj/Shotgun)