vegetarian td5

cotleigh crasher

Hi Everybody

A good friend of mine runs his Audi A4 on 90% veg oil with no ill effects, thus reducing his running costs by 40%.

As I'm currently throwing £60 per week at my TD5 D2 I was wondering if anyone out there has tried veg oil?

I know that you can't use bio without mods to the injector pump but can you use veg? My disco is a 2004 model and has 47k on the clock so the last thing I want to do is trash the engine.

My wallet would appreciate any advice.

Also, mine doesn't have the centre diff lock. Some time ago I got thoroughly stuck on wet grass so have been reluctant to go too far off road since. I put it down to the road tyres it was fitted with and as I'm just about to change tyres I'm going to fit something a bit more knobbly in the hope that I'll be able to get off that grass verge next time. Is traction control a good substitute for a cdl or should I consider fitting an after market cdl?

I don't do much off roading but when I do it would be nice to get home again. I can't imagine that the very nice man from the AA would be too keen on rescuing me from a muddy hole in deepest Devon!

I read recently in this forum about the clutch being heavy on disco's. A little mod I made to mine is to fit a platform to the clutch pedal to raise the pedal by about 1 1/4 inches. It doesn't make the action any lighter but it makes the world of difference to the controllability of the clutch and makes gear changes much smoother as its easier to get the clutch to the floor without dislocating your left ankle.

Surprisingly it doesn't make the pedal any harder to get your foot onto once you get used to it.

Just thought it may help someone out there.

Thanks very much guys. You may have just saved me a packet as I was tempted to give it a try and see what happened !

Your info is much appreciated.

Ralph

Works but power is down, doesnt burst into life as per usual, smokes a lot more, makes in tank pump work very hard ( gets noisy) and thats only at 15/20%.

Back on straight derv and all is good again.

Extra smoke was embaressing :(

Tesco pura brand is the cheapest at 56p litre bottle.

Lynall

Works but power is down, doesnt burst into life as per usual, smokes a lot more, makes in tank pump work very hard ( gets noisy) and thats only at 15/20%.

Back on straight derv and all is good again.

Extra smoke was embaressing :(

Tesco pura brand is the cheapest at 56p litre bottle.

Lynall

Interesting that you mention the in-tank pump getting noisy.

I was in France last week and having filled up with cheap derv over there my pump started making whirring noises, I had visions of an expensive break down.

On returning to the UK and filling up again all is well once more. Makes me wonder what carp they sold me?

Thanks for your input Lynall, I hope you've not done any lasting damage to yours.

Ralph

Interestingly, there is an alternative thread on biodiesel/vegetable oil: http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=20963, which relates some other points of view with some members reporting different experiences.

I keep meaning to have a go at making bigger quantities of top-notch biodiesel, but I've only one life...............

I tried the traction control vs diff lock thread, looked at the You Tube movie, but was none the wiser....... as someone who has a DII with the transfer box innards missing, it was of some interest. At the present, I can't justify the expense of putting in the missing bits.

Have a look at smartveg.com and elsbett.com for conversion kits. smartveg is currently cheaper, but elsbett have been doing it for years. Just about to buy the conversion for my 200tdi. Both tdi and td5 require a twin tank setup, although I believe that the TD5 also needs and external pump for veg oil.