Over to Ralph in the studio

I think it mainly relates to emmisions (hence why Bogmonster can have a "new" 2007 110 fitted with a 300Tdi, whereas we have to have the euro3 Td5) and possibly some safety features.

Aaaah, right....its now tomorrow, and I understand now!

And of course the 300 tdis are in current vehicles so they have all else that a TD5 would have.

Martin,

I'm fitting an extra tank (a standard TD5 90 one) to the rear of my 90 for our trip next year. It is not a bolt in job unfortunately, you need to fabricate and weld brackets to the rear of the chassis, you need to modify the rear crossmember for clearance, you need to sort out a fuel filler in the same place as a TD5 so that you can use the standard parts, you have to find a way of getting it out of the tank (hence my question) and you have to find a way of switching between tanks. The benefits are that you can have an extra fuel tank in your 90 using standard land rover parts It's just the footwork involved that makes it hard work.

So Mo, you drive a TD5 because of all the other bits, but with the superior motor!!

Geez, this auxillary tank sounds like a mission.....prob just go with an aftermarket expedition tank, and leave it in the hands of my garage.....not quite qualified to undertake any of what you describe!!

.....unless of course, you are offering to manufacture all the bits for me and help me fit 'em!!

Martin

• 4 weeks later...

You mentioned having to modify the rear chasis to make the TD5 tank fit ..

Is that just welding on the tank mounting brackets or is it a major reshaping the chasis ??

I've been planning this for a while now and was just about to start the ordering..

I'm ok with the filler as going to use a race spec one.

Plan on part number whk100040 for the tank.

wfi100070 tank cradle.

Does that sound about right ?

Is there a part number for the tank mounting brackets that weld to the chasis ? is there a bolt on version ?

Ta

jimmy,

As best I can see the rear cross member is flanged on it's forward face on a pre-TD5 whereas the TD5 rear cross member is flat on this face. I think that this flange may need to be removed to give the necessary clearance between the forward face of the rear tank and the rear diff. I'm going to fit up and then check clearance when the time comes. If you do it first (I won't start mine until the summer) perhaps you could post up and let us know how you got on. I'd like to know if the flange needs to be removed.

Which filler are you going to use ? Perhaps you could post a link ?

Cheers

Mo

jimmy,

As best I can see the rear cross member is flanged on it's forward face on a pre-TD5 whereas the TD5 rear cross member is flat on this face. I think that this flange may need to be removed to give the necessary clearance between the forward face of the rear tank and the rear diff. I'm going to fit up and then check clearance when the time comes. If you do it first (I won't start mine until the summer) perhaps you could post up and let us know how you got on. I'd like to know if the flange needs to be removed.

Which filler are you going to use ? Perhaps you could post a link ?

Cheers

Mo

Looking at this for a filler. Plan to mount it as high as possible on the drivers side, but not so high that it cuts through into the rear seat area if ya get what i mean.

The original rear tank fillers are about this height but angled downwards and have a kind of plate thing that goes right where my strengthening braces are for my 2007 defender rear seats.

Still need to think about tank venting though.

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/products/Pro...pcode=MOCCAP3ZF

Don't suppose you have looked at part number KVU101160 ? Is this the lugs that hold the tank cradle ?

This could easily turn into a very expensive mistake i think. :ph34r:

Looking at this for a filler. Plan to mount it as high as possible on the drivers side, but not so high that it cuts through into the rear seat area if ya get what i mean.

The original rear tank fillers are about this height but angled downwards and have a kind of plate thing that goes right where my strengthening braces are for my 2007 defender rear seats.

Still need to think about tank venting though.

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/products/Pro...pcode=MOCCAP3ZF

Don't suppose you have looked at part number KVU101160 ? Is this the lugs that hold the tank cradle ?

This could easily turn into a very expensive mistake i think. :ph34r:

KVU101160 is the rail that bolts to the top of the rear crossmember to which the rear tub bolts. I don't think you'll need one of those ;)

What is needed is the two brackets that are welded to the outside of chassis longitudinals immediately forward of the rear crossmember. Trouble is these don't appear to be available seperately so they'll have to be fabricated.

All that will be needed the tank, the cradle and the two brackets and then the fuel connections for the top, fuel pipes with the right connectors, a plug for the fuel gauge electrical connections and fill pipes and filler. I'll be changing the tub to TD5 and fitting my earlier filler into this.

All fun and games :)

Mo

KVU101160 is the rail that bolts to the top of the rear crossmember to which the rear tub bolts. I don't think you'll need one of those ;)

What is needed is the two brackets that are welded to the outside of chassis longitudinals immediately forward of the rear crossmember. Trouble is these don't appear to be available seperately so they'll have to be fabricated.

All that will be needed the tank, the cradle and the two brackets and then the fuel connections for the top, fuel pipes with the right connectors, a plug for the fuel gauge electrical connections and fill pipes and filler. I'll be changing the tub to TD5 and fitting my earlier filler into this.

All fun and games :)

Mo

Thanx Mo..

No wonder i can't find them weld on brackets that go on the chassis. I've spent about a month searching the net and got absolutely nowhere.