rear seat box..?

I am trying to devise the best solution for getting the best all round use out of my 110. (No space to store a trailer) I would like to have the option of sleeping inside (for two), keeping the dog in the back, particularly when he's decided to get soaked and muddy, being able to load up the rear with logs and branches with out getting the cabin area filled with carp. (Giving the dog leave to have the rear seats/floor on these occassions). Also generally keeping all the 'usual' stuff in the vehicle.

So far I have thought the following;

- standard dog/luggage guard - no bed without modfying it to pivot flat.

- wooden bulkhead with fold up/down top section to allow for bed

both above using the under driver seat box and supplimentary separate boxes to store the 'usual' kit.

Either of the above using the area under the rear seat (currently has high lift there anyway) boxed in to provide secure storage using either a completely made up frame and panel system or considering if a front seat box would fit or could be modded to fit and then use low back front seats.....?

I have thought of changng to a hard top but like the option of rear seats and being able to access any stuff stored in their place (when folded) via the rear doors.

Any ideas or comments welcomed...

Cheers, Phil. B)

The rear of a 110 van is around 2m at the floor level and I guess this is less at the wingtop level, a station wagon is around the same as a 90 in the load area at around 1.2m so clearly the sleepy bit is the first (IMHO) to address. I would look at the merits of what can be done in the load area to bring it up to the level of the wingtops (like a mobile storage systems drawer), but would that impact on the dog's ability to get into the back? However if this could be addressed, you would have a level area to lie down in.

I recall Volvo V70's have a dog guard that his hinged at the roof, and allowed to 'swing' backwards when not in use so thats an idea Id pinch.

The rear seats on a 110 come in two flavours, bench 60/40 split or individual seats with frames, im not sure which you have, but there is an option to remove a rear seat and construct a storage area in its place.

You mention a hard top, and why not consider keeping your station wagon doors etc, but removing a side window, an aluminium fabricator should be able to do this easily for you or you could get ally sheet and do it yourself. if you removed a seat on the second row you could get a full height rack, cupboard thing down one side...

Dont forget that trailers can be stored on their end (a cunning winchy thing would reduce the storage and make it less of a target for theives)...admitedly a full blown Sankey would be heavy, but not unacheivable.

Finally what every you choose, think what would happen if you came to a sudden halt. Its bad enough being in a crash and being bashed from the front, but when your possessions or dog also gives you a 'nudge' from the rear (or pooch disappears through the front windscreen) its more than a little inconvenient.

Sounds like a great project - have fun...

Thanks for the reply,

I'd had a thought about leaving one seat in the rear and doing as you suggest with a storage area in the remaining space and still the idea is floating around. The dog is not young and when invigorated after a good walk can jump in the back but that's his limit however.

I had thought of a drawer set back in the half furthest forward....dog could then stay on top of this..

I am thinking of an aluminium frame to support the bed area probably at a height that would allow whatever seats I went for (or kept, they are the three separates) to just fold forward once. This would also leave an 'edge' along the wheel boxes to keep the odd bit of errant kit or dirty boots behind in everyday use.

And yes I agree about thinkng about what kit is where considering the worst case scenario of a collision hence also the need for a guard or bulkhead of some type.

I like the idea of the guard hinged at the roof, I'd also wondered about modifying an orignal dog guard to hinge at the height it bends at which would then form the bed base over ally supports...??

Unfortuately there really isn't any room for a trailer at all....not even vertical!

Still much to ponder...

Cheers, Phil.

Phil.

My load guard is in two pieces. I can take one or both sides out from the passenger seat.

img3114gg9.th.jpg

Right side of guard. You can see the padlock that keeps it in place.

img3115mu3.th.jpg

Padlock again

img3099bx7.th.jpg

There's nothing to stop you lowering the angle. Angle is 50 X 50 X 6

img3111uo5.th.jpg

Top bar shewing mounting to roof support.

img3112fl1.th.jpg

Bottom angle bar again. This time from the left side.

Now you can see why the guard is refered to as "the trellis" :blink:

HTH

mike

Great pics Mike, thanks for those.

You've given me some ideas to be going on with.

Where did you get the window guards from and were they much money ? It's either that or I was going to board out the inside leaving a cut out at the top to let light in. Although having seen yours I think the grills would be better and more versatile.

Phil.

Phil the window guards came from Mobile Storage Systems.

Not cheap but good. I had a hand in how they were fitted. I have no idea on the price though.

Cheers, I don't mind if they're not so cheap if they're good!

I'd love an ambulance, just not so practical for everyday! Great ideas, cheers for those links.

I'm leaning towards boxing in under the rear seats, using series style seats over an ally framed box for storage. Not sure whether to keep three or go to two giving a space for full height storage or other multi purpose space behind the drivers seat. Then keeping the rear completely open apart from a frame over the wheel boxes to keep stuff behind and support a bed platform, with some tie-down points along the lines of the rack and ring system (shown on another post by Draper40 I think)...

The ideas and plans evolve .......

As I start I'll photgraph the progress and post it up.

Cheers chaps.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I've been getting on and this is the progress so far... :)

I have created the 'box' over the wheel arch using 'T' section ally on the top rail over the edge meeting a length of ally angle running across the vehicle. This will allow a lid to be dropped in over the wheel box and a ply section to also be dropped in between both boxes (only got this far on the left ...) to create a flat bed area. The plan is to create a dog/luggage guard that will be attached to the angle that runs across the vehicle and is hinged so that it can fold down over the folded seats to create the forward part of the bed.

80f11089-f100-45a9-99f1-6f15e7eee7ee_small.jpeg

In the pic below you can just make out the bright new ally attached to the outer skin on the top of the pic. I drilled out the original rivets from the outside and matched the holes up to rivet it all together creating support for the lid of the box. This will hinge up in two sections to allow access to all items in case of stuff being loaded on top...

2bf53943-156d-4500-b3c7-0db8b217d8c0_small.jpeg

I reckon the commercial station wagon body is the best alround LR ever built ;) (5door van backed) I have always been reluctant to do anything internally to my 110 as whatever you do will somehow compromise something else and I like it to be able to do everything I need it to do. I hate the thought of carrying un-necessary weight everywhere all the time anyway.

We do have a dog guard that fits behind the back seats as part of the rollcage, I never ever use it, I prefer to shout at the dogs to stay put. If we crash nothing is going to stop a fully grown deerhound hurtling forwards anyway ;) I have thought about getting 'the big dog' a doggy seatbelt and fixing a winch grade recovery ring in the back to hold him still.

I don't have any permanent internal floor lining behind the front seats so I can hose it out after the logging/rubbish tip runs.

When I am kipping in the 110 I lay sections of chipboard across the wheelboxes (B&Q do loftspace packs very cheaply that are the right size) and between the folded down rear seats (I just have the two rear seats) then plonk the double airbed over the top of the lot. An onboard T-Max twin pump compressor blows it up in seconds :i-m_so_happy: We always seem to find space to stash all the toolboxes and luggage stuff under the bed/in the front whilst we sleep in comfort :) If we have the whole family out we have a tent that fits on the back or side of the 110 as well.

We use thick union jack towels as curtains over the side doors/rollcage cross brace and back door.

As for the dog camping I only take the terrier and she sleeps in the front if she is wet or the back by my feet if i'm cold ;)

Will :)

Couldn't agree more with your "..able to do everything I need it to do.." comment and with not restricting this by permanent fixtures. However the way I am building this up is the best compromise I have come up with... I hate stuff rolling around in the back and with a box or two or recovery/camping/clothing/boots/tools I have had to take a box or 2 out to load up with other things. I think that having the permanent boxes over the wheel arches will allow me to keep the afore mentioned items to hand with a load on....if not exactly to hand then at least still with me...

As for the bed i haven't decided whether to go for a foam mattress or an airbed..? Plenty still to do yet! And I may change the sides yet too, depnds how I get on with window guards.

Cheers

Phil

;)